Multiple Stave Input feature request

Hello,

1. You activate the input on multiple staves.
  2. You press a chord on your midi-keyboard (with the option activated that the notes get spilled over the staves, so the highest note gets in the first stave, the second highest gets in the second stave and so on)
  3. You release one finger and press another key with it while the other fingers still are holding the chord
    This is what Dorico does:
  • the one new note appears alone at the location of the carot
    This is what I wish should happen:
  • the one new note appears at the location of the carot and the other notes that were held are tied over to the current position

This would make it so much easier to input chorals and already-worked-out-piano-arrangements of your orchestral composition.
Hope you understand what I mean and have a nice day
Stephan

Thanks for your suggestion. This is an interesting idea, and we’ll consider it for future versions.

Stephan, one thing that might help when you’re inputting chorales:
If certain notes have longer values but one line, let’s say tenors, has moving notes of a shorter duration, you can change the input value to the shorter duration and restrike the same chord save for the changing tenor pitches, and go back and tie the three other voices together at that rhythmic spot after you’re done. This is easier than exiting multi-stave input mode for a few beats. Hopefully this makes sense.

Thanks Romanos401, your method makes perfectly sense :wink: Thats probably the way to go at the moment

I’ve found that it really helps speed things up… exiting to input notes for only one or two beats into each voice separately, all because of one different part just got to be too much when compared with the phenomenal ease of multi-stave entry; that’s when I gave it a try and I’ve done it ever since. I find it speeds things up quite a bit; the only thing is you have to carefully scan to make sure you don’t miss (after the fact) any spots where the notes are actually supposed to be longer. At least with hymns there are lyrics which makes it fairly easy to spot the mistakes. The other lovely thing about dorico is how intelligent it is when you tie notes together. It makes all the necessary corrections for you so it’s great.