Multiple Targets in Generic Remote (or Transformer)?

Hi all,

I’m relatively new to Cubase, but am experienced with advanced MIDI, so I’ve been spending time configuring all my MIDI controllers to make useful adjustments in Cubase via Generic Remotes. What I’d like to do is make my own sub-solo group; in other words, 4 audio tracks only one of which may be record enabled or monitored at a time. I thought I’d be able to easily map a 127 value from MIDI CC 104 for example as a trigger to record enable track 1 AND simultaneously record disable tracks 2-4. If I can do this, I can just do this 4 times and use 4 switches on my MIDI controller to record. However, it seems that in the Generic Remote settings, corresponding rows in the upper and lower panels are directly connected and that’s it i.e. no multiple target actions from one input.

So, as a workaround and since I already use MIDI Yoke in a similar way, I made CCs 108-111 control record enable for tracks 1-4, respectively, via Generic Remote, and set up a MIDI track and Transformer to take a CC 104 value of 127 and transform that to 4 CC changes: 108->127, 109->0, 110->0, 11->0 so that one CC change becomes 4 going to the Generic Remote. However, the Transformer suffers from a similar problem: you can’t create 4 arbitrary messages from a single input, you can only transform the input once per module. So, as a sub-workaround I figured I’d use each of the 4 modules to react to the same input but send different outputs. But this doesn’t work either! It seems as though the four modules are in series, not parallel; once the first module transforms the input, the original is filtered away. The manual says I can use “Insert” in order to insert the transformed message to the stream, but this option is not possible for some reason.

Am I making this way more complicated than it needs to be? I looked into macros too but I couldn’t find the appropriate key commands (only record enabling the currently selected track). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
doggy

Hi doggy :slight_smile:
I haven’t had time to read your post completely, but I think there is a simple solution…
While you are correct in assuming that an incoming MIDI data cannot be routed to multiple destinations, you can, on the other hand, create as many Generic Remote Devices as you like (well, I haven’t tried… maybe theres a limit of 127? :wink: )… and you can of course use the same incoming MIDI in each (but with each routed to a different target).
And, yes, the four modules of the Input Transformer are in series :wink:. And the Input Transformer doesn’t have an “Insert” function, whereas the Transform Insert FX (and the Logical Editor) does.

Hi vic,

Thanks! Wow you are my Cubase MIDI angel this week haha. I started playing around with the Transformer Insert FX and got it all woking by using 4 on each (quite a few) MIDI track, the first three FX are set to “Insert” and only the last is set to “Transform.” The number of tracks and inserts is now horribly convoluted and ugly, but I hid the main routing tracks with the transformers so it looks okay now (and I only had to do it once). My only question now is let’s say there’s a “submix solo group” of 5 instead. Can MIDI tracks have more than 4 inserts? I’m going to assume the answer is no, and the only way to extend this (without resorting to an extremely large number of Generic Remotes as you suggested) would be to merge with another input Yoke port. Is this correct? Keep in mind this last question is mainly out of curiosity for educational purposes, as I don’t currently need more than 4 right now.

Thanks again,
doggy

hmm… would this work for you?..
(let’s presume a single MIDI track)…
Create a 2nd MIDI track (don’t simply Duplicate), and place Shared Copies of the data (i.e. MIDI Parts) on the original MIDI track onto it. This second MIDI track would have its own set of four MIDI inserts, and the only time you’d have to worry about MIDI data being present on both MIDI tracks is when creating a new Part (you’d have to remember to place a Shared Copy of that Part also). But any editing within an existing Part would be applied automatically to the 2nd track. You’d probably also (according to circumstance) need to duplicate any Automation onto the corresponding automation lane. (The Range Tool is your friend there :wink: )