Multiple visual monitor setup

I set up my system with dual monitors, adding to what I already had, I bought a 19" to match but it turned out to be an 18.5" with a lower resolution, so I have made do using the higher res. for my DAW and the other for plugins and such. I am now in need of upgrading to have two 19" 1680 x 1050 monitors with the smaller one as a reference monitor. I would like to stretch my arrangement screen across the two with no visual impairments due to resolution or size issues but it turns out that my original 19" 1680 x 1050 spec monitor is near on impossible to match. I just need to know whether if I get a 22" 1680 x 1050 monitor, will it match up with my 19" 1680 x 1050 monitor and not distort the join between the two screens. Any help and advice is gratefully received.

Cheers,

mrben

The pixel pitch (distance from centre of pixels) has to be almost the same for each monitor.

For example:

• Dell 30" 2560x1600 has 0.2505mm pixel pitch
  • Dell ST2220T 21.5" 1920x1080 touch screen has 0.248 mm pixel pitch

There is only 1% difference between them, meaning in 300mm (~12"), the mismatch is 3mm (1/8").

With two bezels between monitors, even exactly the same is hard to visually verify when just viewing them side by side.

The other factor to consider is the colour matching, which if it is too great a difference, can be irksome.

So basically a plugin GUI would be the same size on a 21.5" monitor (@1920x1080) as a 30" monitor (@2560x1600)?
I guess if I ever decide to get a 30" monitor I’m going to be using the Win7 magnifier a lot…

I didn’t consider the pixel pitch. I was only thinking of resolution. I learned something. :nerd:

To add about the colour, in my experience even exactly the same model of monitors but of different age (i.e. a year or more) will have trouble matching the colours even with precisely the same settings.

You could just move the monitor closer to you. They make nice swivel arms and stands onto which one can attach a monitor to let it hover anywhere you want without having to clear out stuff underneath it on your desk.