Multirests are breaking in only one part

I’m trying to figure out why these multirests are not being implemented in this piano part.

This is the only layout I’m having this issue with. There are hidden chord symbols, , but there are hidden chord symbols in other places where the multirests are fine.

“Pre Chorus 1” is system text, but I don’t think this is the issue because the same system text is other places (“Verse 1” for example) where the multirests are fine.

Curious thing happening…

I deleted the system breaks I had made, and the multirests re-appeared, but all the text is way above the staff.
Then, I implemented the system breaks again, and it looks fine. (See pic)

when I move the “Pre-Chorus 1” (system text) at Letter B, it breaks the multirest (see pic)

The reason is because when the text is attached to a point after the downbeat, it will break the multirest. You must be moving the text in Write mode.

Rather than change the rhythmic position of the text, move it in Engrave mode so it doesn’t collide with previous system.

Hey Dan, the text is actually on the downbeat. I’m not moving it in write mode. I just tested it twice to make sure it is indeed on a downbeat.
The multirest breaks when I move the text in Engrave mode

I very much doubt that! Engrave mode is “graphical,” not syntactical. It doesn’t change data, just its position on the page.

It’s literally doing it in front of my eyes. I’m in engrave mode.

All I can tell is this is what the text looks like before moving it (see pic), and here’s what happens when I move it down (see pic).

Also, the same system text style is at Letter A, and is in the exact same spot (see pic).

Well then, I’m thoroughly mystified. I’ve never heard of that happening in Engrave mode (and it certainly shouldn’t). Sounds like a job for a smarter person! Sorry.

We’ll need to see a project. Maybe make a copy of the project, delete everything apart from the Keyboard 1 Layout and delete most of the notes, then zip and upload here.

I appreciate you responding, Dan.

Upon some deeper troubleshooting, it seems to be an issue with the chord symbol on the downbeat. Maybe I changed a setting without realizing, but…

At m.15, I want a a chord symbol in the Vocal and Keyboard 2 part only . I’ve hidden that symbol for all the other instruments (see score pic)

When I delete the chord symbol entirely on the downbeat of m. 15 (Letter B), and it fixes the multirest issue (see pic).

Then, I re-entered the chord the chord symbol, and hid it in the guitar parts, keys 1, bass and drums in the score.

When I look at the parts, this chord is not hidden, but it’s hidden in the score.

I’m wondering if I can send the project to someone and they could take a look.

Will do. Since this is affecting the entire project in this spot, I’ll send you the full project

Here it is
Drink You Away (PC 586) (893 KB)

I’m off to bed - I’m in South Korea for about another 8 hours. Will look tomorrow if I can get WiFi at the airport, assuming someone else hasn’t got it sorted already :slight_smile:

I’m not sure what I did, but I think I fixed it.

I’m not sure what I did, but I think I fixed it.
Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 12.14.18 PM.png

Tremendous word, Timothy.
I must admit I’m speechless here. Deleting chords make those bar rests multibar rests, but since they’re hidden, I do not understand… This looks like a bug to me.

This is what I get when I delete the chords… Can you show the signposts?

I think there’s a bug here, though so far I’ve not been able to figure out exactly what’s going wrong. For some reason the way the multi-bar rests are being consolidated produces an unstable result in this project, so that e.g. deleting or adding a system break changes whether or not bars end up in a multi-bar rest. I’ve passed this on to one of the programmers in the team and we’ll look at this in due course to try to figure it out. Unfortunately I don’t think there is a good workaround in the meantime.

Wondering if this was ever resolved - I’m currently having a similar in a score that needs to be finished within the next two weeks. :sweat_smile:

I don’t work for Steinberg, but I think the chances of a new version of Dorico being released within the next 2 weeks are somewhere between zilch and zero.

The current version (2.2.20) was released two weeks AFTER Daniel’s comment, so that’s as good as it’s going to get, unfortunately.

And I’m using that update. Bummer. Looks like it’s workaround time!