Multirests in Parts

I’m not sure exactly how those hidden time signatures got created; probably by way of copying and pasting, or by inserting or deleting barlines.

I think being able to see these time signatures more easily by way of signposts will be a big help, so this is a high priority for our initial post-release update.

If it helps you hunt down a bug, I used the create bar function in the bars and bar lines tool. I added about 70 measures to the score. I then began adding in music. When I got to the part in 6/8, I added the new time signature.

Things got really wonky in that flow. I found hidden time signatures all through the solo vocal part as well. I ended up deleting the flow all together, and I am working on re-inputting the music.

On a possible unrelated topic… sometimes when I select spans of music (say 7 bars or so), Dorico selects notes and bar lines, plus things like dynamics, etc. When I hit delete, occasionally some (not all, say 1 or 2) of the bar lines delete. Why do some delete, but not all? I would prefer in metered music for none of the bar lines to delete.

Robby

To add one more thing… I am clicking on bar lines throughout the new flow I added to replace to the old flow. Every bar line shows a time signature panel in the properties view, except for one. I cannot figure out why the inconsistency?

Robby

Here is the score, and here is the part.

I checked… there is not hidden time signature. Could the dynamic that hangs on count 6 (6/8 time) of the previous measure be what is keeping the the next 2 measures from creating a 2 bar multi rest?

Robby

I’m sure this will get resolved by Daniel and the team in due time, but in the meantime, I can see how this might help people earlier in this thread about splitting multirests – they can apparently insert a hidden time signature in the bar where they want the multirest split.

I’m afraid this is the very attitude which bothers Finale users about Sibelius. While I agree that a notation program should observe established conventions, it should always permit the user to change the notation if necessary. While I’m sure that Dorico will eventually allow more of this kind of freedom, at the moment it determines too many things itself which the user is unable to change, like certain note spacing problems (e.g. sometimes leaving too much space between lyric syllables) or unwanted space between staves or systems. I’m aware that user-defined horizontal note adjustments and vertical staff adjustments are two things scoped for the 1.0.10 update but, in general, those users who want control over the notation should have that freedom without having to jump through technical hoops.

I encountered something related, so I think there is no need for a new thread.

In the score:

• Bar 31 has a double bar line.
    Bar 31 also has a tempo marking.
    Bar 33 has a rehearsal mark.

In one of the parts:

• Tacet from bar 29 to middle of 34.
    Instrument change when starting in bar 34.

Result in the part layout:

• A five bar multi rest from 29 to 33.
    So the double bar line in bar 31 is disregarded.
    The tempo marking, instrument change instruction, and rehearsal mark are placed over the multi bar rest.

That problem is absent in all other part layouts, and a test confirms it has to do with the instrument change. Bug? Something I missed? Anything I can do to solve this?

Have you tried to input text into those bar you want not to be included into the multirest and then make the text invisible with white color in properties?

See this thread Multimeasure Rests Broken after Instrument Change - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

There’s a fix theoretically coming in the next few days.

Thank you both, for your workaround and for the info about the bug!

I sympathise with your view and I wonder when these conventions were established and by whom. I do not remember being taught many, beyond what was in the book of rudiments (by Curwen?) that I had and, as I recall it, the most advanced rules I was taught were those for grouping rests in different time signatures.

The same was true about written English. How did I ever manage to write extended essays without having memorised The Chicago Manual of Style?

I think a lot of these “conventions”, rather than being observations of the actual practice of musicians, are made up by academics who have decided to write a rule book, and who fill in the gaps they encounter with their own decisions. As my mother used to say: “What they dont know, they make up!”

As far as multirests go, their primary purpose is to save space in a part, and they should obviously do this while indicating to the player any changes of tempo, key, metre, etc, that he or she needs to know. This may allow for some flexibility.

A notation program like Dorico obviously has to have formatting rules and, to be fair, it does allow the user to choose among options for many of these rules. I never had any dissatisfaction with multirests in Sibelius, unless I had made an error, and I expect that Dorico will in the fullness of time be at least as good.

David

Daniel’s stated elsewhere on this forum that cues will not be in the imminent minor update, but will come in the next major update (in the autumn/fall). I expect we’ll be given control over where cues appear, and thus slightly more control over how multirests are handled.

This looks like a bug to me, I’m afraid. A bar rest with a pause on it shouldn’t be consolidated into a multi-bar rest. We’ll fix this as soon as we can.

Daniel, I think that in fixing this, you may have created an unintended consequence. When I put a breath mark at the end of a bar, it broke the multirest it had been part of, and that isn’t desirable. See attachment…

Is there any way around that?

Thanks,

Lew

Perhaps that feature should be selectable in the future.

We’ll look into the problem with breath marks causing multi-bar rests to break in the future, Lew.

Is there still a hidden time signature issue? I have a file in which there are hidden time signatures on barlines that are breaking multi-bar rests, but when I unhide them, it appears to be a time signature several bars before the barline in question.