Multitrack Free Warp still missing [Achieved]

hope it helps !
but anyway if you need to adjust some minor moves to grid, you can move the “5 guitar tracks” to a folder ,group the folder and use quantize with the audio warp icon on the quantize panel engaged
mostly used for multi mic drums, but i think it would work for multi mic guitars also,especially if it’s a rhythmic part

try both’ and look what works the best for you

Hi, thank you for sharing your view. But that use is precisely the one that would generate most phasing issues and sub-standard results. Warping algorithms are pretty good today, compared to what they were a decade ago, but not good enough to deliver a proper sound under those circumstances. Believe me, I’ve tried :frowning: If you have different tracks from the same sound source you will end up with a poor end-result. My suggestion would be correcting the dry DI alone and reamplifying it, so you could get a perfect phase coherent tone among all mics.

I know this is a very popular feature request but I don’t think people are aware of how unsatisfactory results such a tool would provide with the current time-stretching algorithms. It’s not for no reason that most engineers still prefer “slice and crossfade” to audiowarp when editing multitrack takes.

But tell me how your experiences go, I’m looking forward to it!

touche, this is what I’ve already said. This is one of those requests that everyone thinks they “want” - like ‘Gapless Audio Engine’ in which everyone says so and so DAW doesn’t gap when adding a plugin, they don’t realize that all those other DAWs have terrible PDC and their tracks wont be phase aligned until they hit stop and play again.

there’s also this method which I haven’t tested yet

Interesting comments, thanks Mozizo, Fernando, Lovegames. I think i need to read up more on phasing issues.
I use pretty high sample rate to avoid warp warbles. Makes a big difference in ableton when warping but appreciate thats not the same thing as a phase problem. I had been (wrongly it seems) presuming that once recorded in a satisfactory fashion with each track tested for phase inversion, that any group edits would keep things consistent across tracks…but now that i think about it…wave forms are way too complex for that.
I wonder why i havent run into same issues in Ableton so far? Or maybe i have but just been lucky / not noticed.
Will run some tests at weekend with the above tips. Thanks again for replies. Very helpful

1 Like

not say this feature couldn’t be useful, but in terms of editing/fixing something as invisibly as possible - I’d be using it as a last resort. I’d sooner replace the drums with samples.

Thanks also for people’s comments about this. Workarounds are helpful. Would still be good to have Steinberg chime in on this. Any form of warping is going to create some level of loss in audio quality and phasing issues with multiple tracks but sometimes that loss is less significant than the convenience in certain editing scenarios. These options have been reported as being more effective in other DAWS so it would be helpful to hear people’s experience and knowledge of multitrack warping and the level of phase coherence when used elsewhere.

1 Like

Multitrack Free Warp needs to be part of the Cubase editing toolbox 5 years ago.
It’s a modern tool for all modern productions and no other serious DAW would be caught dead without it.
Citing phase issues is like saying that Auto-Tune sounds weird - factually true, but producers and engineers who work on larger multi channel audio productions absolutely require this tool and they/we are comfortable with the slight audio artefacts induced by the warping process (providing it’s a decent warp algorithm.) It’s even used as a creative effect from time to time.
Keeping it out of a pro DAW is like not having a scissor tool because “everything sounds better without editing and people should just learn to play properly…”

I’ve kept my hopes up since C8 and now I’m done.
I even paid for the C11 upgrade blind, because I was sure that Steinberg would finally step up.
I’m a fool, I know.

I’m starting all new sessions in Pro Tools and Ableton from now on.
I’m done hoping.

OTOH - I’m happy that they finally got around to that vital EDM Squasher - The market has been yearning for one of those since last Tuesday…

1 Like

Here is the first example in Pro tools of what I believe we have been requesting in Cubase. I personally would be happy with this feature and outcome.

1 Like

looks great and simple.
also creating and deleting the warp markers on all grouped events on the project window is time saver and convenient.

1 Like

When it comes to workflow this is very convenient, I totally agree it that (and Cubase can perform quite similarly if you quantize hitpoints using audiowarp and have group-editing enabled), but current time-stretching algorithms will still deliver poor results. You can hear it in this video, crash cymbals sound sliced up.

A new generation of algorithms need to be developed before a tool like this can be effective.

yeah, you’d better be recording without cymbals and adding them after

did you see the all video? he fixed the cymbals issue by removing the warp markers from them.
but im not sure its possible with cubase to remove warp marker when quantize grouped tracks with warped audio

If you want to have total purity with audio quality and phasing coherence there will always be an excuse or argument for not having this feature but that doesn’t excuse the fact that many other DAWS provide this option, which by no means is just for quantising drums. In my own studio I often have to work quickly and turnaround jobs for clients where this would allow more flexibility with tidying up timing of linked tracks. It is far from ideal to process vocals with tools like Variaudio but that is now widely accepted as a useful feature for speeding up workflow despite the artefacts it creates. If this feature lacked any value I find it hard to believe it would not have been made available in other DAWS and I think those who would like the same functionality in Cubase may have the intelligence to decide when its use is acceptable.

1 Like

Yes, he did remove some artifacts that were too obvious on the transients but you can still listen to sliced up crash cymbals. They sound shh-sh-sh-sh-sh-sh.

You can remove them. However, as far as I know, you need to delete them one by one in the Free Warp mode.

1 Like

Here is an example of how this works in Studio One:

You need to watch the whole video.

Why does this debate always go back to drums? It applies across the board for any multi mic’d recording - guitars, orchestra…
Anyone working to picture would find this incredibly helpful.

Back to drums.
Cutting and filling the gaps is often limited by tempo as you can only get it to work within a small tempo range on busier grooves. So warping is the only viable option in these cases
And sometimes, the change of tone the warping algorithms gives drums is beneficial…

I understand - itz a mess

i think da Sample-Editor is da problem

Multi-Mic-Recordings can easily b fixed by slicing/slip-editing/quantizing with crossfades.

Why doesn’t anybody mention VOCALS?

Multi-Track-but-individual-Free-Warping-AND-Free-Alignment-not-automatic IN THE ARRANGEMENT WINDOW cuz da Sample-Editor without Zoom-Link is a p.i.t.a. - itz cool 2 hav a „ghost“ track 4 alignment when u hav 2 fix 2 events only BUT dey need 2 b da same length - dis wouldn’t b an issue IN DA MAIN WINDOW.