Musescore to Dorico - Accidentals not showing

hi folks,

I am experimenting with importing scores from musescore to dorico (.mxl file).

to me musescore is great to compose and edit in, whereas dorico generates parts really well on its own.

I noticed that some instruments in my concert score have the correct accidentals, others have those same accidentals but don’t show them. if that makes sense.

example attached:

in the picture, the red square (treble cleff) has a Bb.
in blue (bass clef) dorico didn’t put an accidental despite it saying it’s a “Bb” when selecting the note.

any solutions to this that don’t involve manually having to check and adjust every staff?

the piece has no key signature - every accidental must be notated when it happens.

The accidental is probably in hidden state. You can likely get them all to appear by doing a select all (to select all notes in the file) and in the edit menu choose “Reset Appearance”.

Dorico is wonderful to compose and edit in, it is very fast once you get the hang of it. It has become second nature to me. I probably wouldn’t suggest a workflow of always starting in one notation program and ending in another.

1 Like

reset appearance worked. thanks.

a new issue came up. somewhere in this process some accidentals are being “reset” by themselves. I don’t know how to explain, but all the Bs in this excerpt are supposed to be flat, and were flat when I imported the xml file.

If they suddenly appeared natural after doing a “reset appearance”, probably they were natural before but the accidental was hidden, so they looked like they were flat.

1 Like

Select the offending bars, then use shift-i B=Bb

4 Likes

@GATO_ARABE

Beside the nice and fast solution suggested by @Janus via the Popover, If it happens on more pitches and other places you can also use the menu Write>Transform>Pitches>Map Pitches… function, where you can add many pitches mapping at once.

Moreover, the same as in the editor above is obtainable also with the Popover (separating the transformations with comma) :slight_smile:

result:

2 Likes

thanks guys.

Very cool - never knew the interval popover did that!

If you’re importing lots of things from MuseScore (or other app), you should look at Dorico’s Preferences for MusicXML import.

The more options you tick, the more overrides you’ll have in your music, as Dorico will preserve things like Beaming, stem direction, etc, as they are found in the XML file. This means that they won’t respond to changes in Engraving/Notation Options until you remove the manual overrides.

2 Likes