Music frame - totally disconnected to others in the Flow

Is it possible to make a music frame that neither influences or is influenced by any other music frame within the current Flow, or must I have a separate Flow to do that? Is that the way Dorico is designed: only one Music Frame per flow? If it is possible to have two disconnected Music Frames in a Flow, where, before I pester you any further, might I find instructions for how to do that? I thought maybe I knew or could figure it out, but I was wrong.

You can have music frames that are totally separate from your main music frame chain - this puts the flow in a separate “stream” as it were. However you can’t specify which bars appear in the frame except by having multiple frames in the new frame chain and flowing music through it - that is, the first frame in a frame chain always shows the beginning of the selected flow(s).

Here’s some information about frame chains, and here’s more info about the difference between master page and layout music frames.

If you want to go away, experiment, and then share your test projects here for any follow-up questions, please feel free - the concept of frame chains can be quite difficult to grasp in the abstract.

Thank you. I will say why I want to do these things, because there may be a better solution.
I input a movement from a suite (the Gavotte en Rondeau from Bach BWV 1006). There is an 8-bar phrase that recurs several times. You could ornament every time differently. I want to write a separate copy of that 8 bars and load it up with all the possibilities that have turned up in various editions. I’ll stack up ossias and all sorts of fun things.
So will life simply be simpler for me if I just make a new Flow and call it “Opening theme”, copy the phrase and doll it up and make text frames etc etc. Or is there some other way that keeps everything in the same Flow, or is keeping everything in the same Flow not especially advantageous for any reason? I would value your opinion on that. I made the music notes bigger in the 2nd Flow, and I’m not sure I could do that in a one-Flow version. Maybe that’s the clincher to split the document into two Flows?

Interesting. If you want to show all the different ornamentation possibilities on a separate page in the pre-score information / at the end of the piece, then you could even have multiple additional flows: one for each “variation”, and show all of them one after the other on your separate page.

If they’re separate flows, they won’t have joined barlines and you could even use automatic flow headings above each one if you wanted to name them and show a bit of contextual information specific to each. The flow headings for this extra page doesn’t have to be the same as for the rest of the piece, a bit like separate master pages.

Keeping things in the same flow generally means it happens concurrently and is shown together - I don’t think you’d be able to hide extra staves you add, but you can hide/show ossias on a per-layout basis.

You can also change the size of staves from system breaks, if you wanted to have this/these separate flow(s) have a large staff size than the overall layout (so insert an “unnecessary” system break at the start of each flow and use that to change the size)

Almost there, thanks to your help.
I got a standalone music frame going in Flow 2 behaving as expected.
The clip in question is the refrain, which is 8 bars long. There’s lots of room on an empty page, so I think I’ll simply stack ossias up where the ornaments go. Since the excerpt is so small, I was going to make the notes bigger. But when I tried that, it made all the notes bigger in Flow 1 as well. I couldn’t figure out how to make Flow 2 notes look different from Flow 1.

You could create a system break at the beginning of flow 2 and in the properties panel (cmd-8) change the staff size

Or if you want the notes to be the same size as the “main line”, use extra staves instead of ossias? Extra staves match the size of the “base” staff.