[Music]HornForHire/surfer/Lenny - Everybody's Fine - NEW MIX

Really great track w/killer lyrics, groove and playing. Bari at end is makes me drool I used a sample on my last tune and now I know why it sucks :slight_smile: wow I am defiantly a fan Wim hope we play together one day. …Lenny, great solid pocket. I think the snare sound is good and fits in track and the high end really helps bring out the rattle, did you mic top and bottom? Hat sounds great too. How did you do the eq on snare? Love to learn the secrets

Hi Steve,

I usually roll off the bottom end of most instruments, except the kick and bass, to keep the mix clear, but maybe I overdid it this time? I’'ll have another listen.
Thanks for the listen.

Wim

Hi Kenny,

The drums are EZDrummer, I used the standard snare. I didn’t do much EQ wise, I can’t check it right now, 'cause I’m not near my DAW at the moment, but I rolled of some bottom end and I think I made a narrow cut 'round 250 Hz.
I also boosted the high end on the snare bottom mic, to bring out the rattle of the snares.
So, no real secrets… :slight_smile:

I can recommend this book by Bobby Owsinski:
http://bobbyowsinski.com/The_Mixing_Engineers_Handbook.html
It helped me a lot.

Thanks for listening and who knows, maybe we’ll do a collab in the future?.. :sunglasses:

Cheers,
Wim

Very cool ! :sunglasses:

Thanks Scab! :sunglasses:

Nice tune wim/lenny can’t help hearing Steely Dan…very clever vocal harmonies ,well done and like the solo double.
A joy to listen to. :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Peter,

Long time no see! How are you doing?

Thanks for the listen,
Wim

Hey, overall I did really like the arrangement and the chord progressions and melodies were nice and easy listening, although my ears wanted some variation on both the harmony and melody on repeats of it within each verse/chorus. Mix sounded well balanced, although I’m not that well versed to specify mix stuff, it just sounded good.

Actually didn’t like the guys voice at first because of some of the pronunciation on the words but his voice is good and has the right kinda emotion for a track like this and some more into the song I liked it more. Also liked the piano playing, being a poor pianist myself, I found the parts interesting, it’s not a genre of music I ever listen to but I enjoyed listening to this.

Can’t comment on lyrics cos for some reason I’ve never ever, in any song, bothered listening to the lyrics ^^

Overall it hit my ears easily so well done to you all with the quality recording.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for the comments!

As a non-native speaker (I’m Dutch) I’m interested to hear where I can improve my pronunciation.
Could you specify some of the words that don’t sound right to you?
Thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Wim

great work wim, listening again, love the progression jump to the lead at 2min. I’ve heard your voice may times so maybe after that exposure I understand everything you sing perfectly.
cool collab and really a nice mix on the brass elements

Hi Bob,

Thanks for listening, again! :sunglasses:

Wim

Hey Wim, sorry for the late reply. Been moving home and no connection yet, can only check stuff at a friends at the moment so I’ll just give a couple of examples.

At 00:31-32 I really liked the kind of “ay” sound for everybody’s fine. But at like 00:37 I’ve no idea what those words are :stuck_out_tongue: I can’t figure it out :smiley:

Just hearing this tonight. Very tasteful! My main gripe – and it’s a big one – is the drums are fairly lifeless and boring, and it’s dragging the whole track down. Plus, some of the fills simply don’t cut it. Sorry!

My suggestion is to get a real drummer for this and let him go to town on it, to do his own “Danny Serafine” on it – I truly believe it would transform this otherwise fine track.

Maybe Nerg is available, and willing to do it on the cheap :sunglasses: