[MUSIC] It's a Sunny Day

Nicely composed and arranged Larry. The Chicago reference is apt.

There might be some distortion on the track, especially in the
vocals. There is clipping at 2:53 and at 3:12? What’s going on there?

You aren’t the first person to say there’s something weird going on. Sav noticed a whistling sound around (if I recall) 1:04. I don’t hear either his or yours and my 3 year old demands that I play this song non-stop at home and in the car via the iPod, but I’ll have another look on the meters tonight.

Stay tuned.

Edit: ah, I hear it. That’s just my sucky vocals: my voice was crackling at a point far lower than it normally would, but I needed a vocal track in place for whomever I roped into singing it for real. So when that actually happens those “distortions” will go away. For what it’s worth, it also happens at 1:04.

Wait…I wonder if that’s what Sav is hearing.

I dig! A nice feel good summertime song. Makes my head do the side to side bob motion :slight_smile: .

This is the next to receive the remix / remaster treatment using the current set of track preset baselines that I created for myself. In addition to this, I updated the use of reverb in the original mix to something more organic sounding (i.e. using sends rather than reverb inserts on individual tracks).

Unfortunately, the combination of the two screwed up the relative loudness of the tracks so I spent far more time rebalancing the volume than I was expecting. Still, I’m happy with the result.

For those who remember the issues with the vocals sounding like there were artifacts from overuse of Melodyne, I started to not believe my own story about my throat being scratchy that day. :laughing: So I re-imported those sections into Melodyne and found that the issues were indeed in the original vocal audio. I was able to mitigate it somewhat on the last line of the last chorus, but not by much.

I was able to A/B with the original mix and am quite happy with the new mix. The drums and vocals have more presence and cut through the mix better. In the original, the snare got lost in the back a few times, which always bothered me but I was unable to remediate for some reason.

I have no idea why I posted this in the Lounge originally instead of the Made with Steinberg forum. Meh. Sorry.

Knew I heard this before… It’s still good. On this listen, I thought, don’t try to make the vocal pitch so correct on the major thirds. Let them be blue notes (a little closer to minor thirds). I also thought, drums still sound good, but too much reverb on the snare. But I’ll listen again.

I am away on business so I can’t confirm but I believe that’s the VST Dynamics plug that you’re hearing combined with the Magneto II preset for the snare. It isn’t reverb on the snare specifically since I only add reverb to the drum group channel.

I’ll have a listen again when I return.

yeah, you’re right, it’s really the ring of the snare sample, not reverb. I do have Battery, but I’ve never used it; I guess if you wanted to tame the ring there are ways. Having listened again, it doesn’t jump out as much as in my previous hearing.

Thanks for the update. Real life got in my way, and so I haven’t had a chance to relisten with a critical ear. :confused: