[Music] Unknown - A Country Rock Christmas Song

In keeping with my tradition of creating a Christmas song, here is this year’s submission. My 12 year old daughter will be recording the lead line this coming weekend, but I wanted to give her a guide track to let her know what my interpretation is. The result is here.

Unknown

The song is about how children are oblivious to the fact that their parents are really the ones who provide the gifts, and how they always will be (will, almost always). The fact that Santa is always gone before the kids wake up is how his true identity remains unknown.

Hope and dreams aren’t what they seem / Mom and Dad try not to scream (when they)
Both fight day and night / Mom just wants them to set a-right (‘cause when the)
Day comes, daughter and son / Both try to be the one (that have their)
Hearts filled up to here / Try to keep their hearts filled with cheer

Each day as the kids awake / Dad goes off to work the day
Their Mom raises the bar / Good or bad she knows if they are
The next day as the kids awake / And they come on down to play
He’s gone, Santa’s gone / And that is why they’ll always be unknown

Make a list try to get the gist / Telling Santa what the heck is this (‘cause if they)
Get it right, day and night / They’ll be happy as a bird in flight

Each day as the kids awake / Mom goes off to work the day
Their Pa raises the bar / Good or bad he knows if they are

Solo

Each day as the kids awake / Mom and Dad show them the way
They both raise the bar / Good or bad they know if they are

Gear
'79 Strat for all guitars
Both rhythm and the slide track are tuned DADGAD
The solo track is standard tuning
Fender Jazz (fretted) bass in drop-D tuning
Battery 3 for the drums

Vocals were all recorded using the Neumann TLM103
All analog tracks were recorded through the MindPrint EnVoice MK II tube pre/compressor
Distortion on the guitars is Guitar Rig 5 as is the bass amp emulation

Sounds good Larry! Not at all what I expected for a Christmas song, but I like this kinda stuff.
It sorta reminds me of David Essex’ Rock On with the vocal melody. I like the dynamics and I look forward to hearing
Piper’s interpretation.

If I had a critique, I’d say that the solo sounds good, but a bit forced when you do the fast riffs. Slow and sleazy
would be more effective there IMO.

LL

Actually Piper is 4 so she isn’t singing anything. Sara, my 12 year old, is coming this weekend and is the one that normally sings it. :stuck_out_tongue:

As far as the solo, I know what you mean by it. That solo wasn’t planned at all - it just happened. I’ll think about replacing it, but to be totally honest if it is going to be slowed down then it should be done completely with a slide. :smiley:

Good song …looking forward to hearing your daughter givin it the beans !!!..Kevin

Thanks!

I hope she has the…uh…balls to pull off the attitude that’s kinda needed in the lead vocal.

Nice production, there’s nothing wrong at all as far as I can see! Like this style, and although I look forward to hearing your daughter on the lead, your voice sounds very natural in this style IMO.

She developed a 102+ degree fever that just broke last night, according to my ex. She isn’t here yet so I don’t know when we’ll get her vocal done for this song.

Thanks for listening!

Larry this is great, really enjoyed and I played it for my kids who liked it also! Can’t wait to hear your daughter on it!

+1

Nice job, Larry!
Best wishes to your daughter.

Wim

Thanks everyone for listening.

Update on Sara: she’s still coughing. We’re going to attempt the vocals today at some point, but I’m not so optimistic. We’re all going to Manhattan to get a look at the window dressings and the tree, after which her mother is meeting us to take her home so today is the only chance we’ll get. :frowning:

Since I can’t find my muse this year (yet…there are still a few days left) and it’s terribly difficult to get the kids together before Christmas nowadays, I decided to remix this song. 4 years does a lot in terms of education, and I’m quite happy with the way this song sounds now.

The link in the OP has been updated to the new mix. If you want to A/B to the original mix, you will find that version here.

:smiley: like it dude. good rythm

Sweet, nicely done Larry, all the best to you and yours for the season. :sunglasses:

While we’re at it, all the same to everyone here on the forum. If you want digital lights and snow, stop by The Forest for a peek. http://northwoodmediaworks.com/forum (the lights are smashable BTW) :laughing:

Cheers to all. :smiley:

I don’t remember the mix from four years ago, but this one sounds great! I especially like the guitar sounds! Well done! Nice holiday present!

Thanks for listening everyone!