[Music] What I Want for Christmas

I just realized that I neglected to post our annual Christmas song to the forum here.

For those of you who are new here, my daughter and I record a Christmas song annually. In the very beginning (2003-2010) I wrote original arrangements of traditional pieces. But starting in 2011 I wrote original songs.

This year’s song is a 50’s era, Doo-Wop style song reminiscent of Sha Na Na. It’s a story about a girl who looks, all dreamy-eyed, at her Zac Efron and wants to tell him that he’s all she wants this year under the tree.

What I Want for Christmas

Don’t need no new car
It’s much too fast for me
Don’t need no diamond rings
They’re much too bright to see
I only want one thing
And you’re all that I want this Christmas

Don’t need no new shoes
Can’t walk on down the street
Don’t need a fur coat
I can’t wear it in the heat
I only want one thing

When I look in your pretty blue eyes
No heaviness in my heart as it sighs
I only want to tell that I love you so

And when you hold me in your arms oh so strong
I feel that nothing in my life can be wrong
I never want to leave that place
Can I stay there forever?

Don’t need no mansion
It’s far too big to clean
Don’t need a vacation
The jet set life’s not for me
I only want one thing

Don’t need no mansion
It’s far too big to clean
Don’t need a vacation
The jet set life’s not for me
I only want one thing
I only want you for Christmas
That’s all that I want for Christmas

Gear:

Piano, Bass, Drums - Kontakt 5, Battery 3. Drum line was generated by Jamstix 3.
Guitar - '81 Ibanez Artist
Vocals - my daughter through a Neumann TLM103 along with Melodyne for pitch and timing correction across the three tracks.

Enjoy!

Happy Holidays to you and your daughter! Well Done :exclamation: I love your daughters sweet voice, the song is well written, recorded and mixed. Aces all around.

John

Agree with JSW on all counts…cept one thing, I reckon that beautiful voice should have been mixed a little louder,

best to you and your daughter…Kevin

Thanks for listening and for the compliments.

As far as her voice in the mix, I debated that. It was originally a tad louder, but it sounded too loud to me which is why I cut it back (just a tad) to where it is. Her voice has always lacked “oomph” so I’m always afraid of it completely taking over the mix if I put it too forward in the mix.

I understand what you are saying about the ‘oomph’, however, her voice exactly the way it is, makes it endearing and makes me miss my adolescent years. Her voice in time will develop the ‘oomph’ so enjoy her youthful beautiful voice today and mix to taste :slight_smile:

I’ll +1 that two…err…too. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It’s cool that you can share music with your daughter in that way. :slight_smile: Really liked the chords at the 0:58 section and great effort overall, certainly nailed the style. I like my Ibanez guitars too btw. :sunglasses:

Thanks!

Guess I’m a little late to get on this, but I really like the song–definitely nails the style spot on. Given the fact that your daughter wasn’t exactly belting it out, I do like the way you mixed the vocals and with the harmonies it comes across just right.

Thanks. I really wish she had continued her vocal lessons from a few years ago, but she’s an excellent pianist (taking jazz lessons currently) and flutist so I shouldn’t complain.