MUSICWORKS LAUNCHES 2021 ELECTRONIC MUSIC COMPOSITION CONTEST
Musicworks’ eleventh annual Electronic Music Composition Contest is open.
Musicworks’ annual juried contest spotlights new musical talent from around the world and offers cash prizes and opportunities to be published and heard. In 2020, we received 132 submissions from across North America, as well as from Italy, the U.K., France, Argentina, Japan, Portugal, Greece, and many more places.
- First prize: CA$500, a composer profile in Musicworks 142 (Spring 2022), and the composition released on the Musicworks 142 CD.
- Second prize: CA$200 and composer coverage on www.musicworks.ca in 2022.
- Third prize: CA$100 and composer coverage on www.musicworks.ca in 2022.
- Marcelle Deschênes Prize in Electronic Music / prix Marcelle-Deschênes pour la musique électronique: CA$300 and a composer profile in Musicworks 142 (Spring 2022). This prize is open to entrants who self-identify as female or non-binary.
Compose and submit an experimental piece in any electronic-music genre—acousmatic, electroacoustic, glitch, soundscape, intelligent dance music (IDM), turntable art, or video music. The contest is open to entrants from anywhere in the world and at any stage of their careers.
- Compositions must be previously unpublished (i.e. not released on a commercially available recording at the time of submission).
- Maximum composition length: 10 minutes.
- Accepted file types: MP3 or MP4 only.
The contest entry fee is CA$25. Additional entries are CA$5 each, unlimited. All entrants receive a free, one-year subscription to Musicworks. Prize details, eligibility, assessment criteria, rules and restrictions, and entry portals can be found at musicworksmag.myshopify.com/products/electronic-music-composition-contest
Contest closes December 20, 2021.