MusicXML import issues

Does your new score include the Expression Map for BBCSO that your generating document did?
XML is not going to transfer your Expression Maps; those would need to be transferred separately. As I now undertaker your difficulty, it is not the symbols/indications that XML does not transfer but the Playback Techniques that you are missing.

1 Like

The articulation maps (BBCSO Pro downloaded from Steinberg support) and playback templates (BBCSO Pro) are identical both before and after import and also loading correct for the imported instruments.

Only the articulations are disappearing if you export and subsequently import using MusicXML in both the Write mode (so no more text indication of Pizz. or Flautando, Spiccato etc. above the stave) as well as in the Play mode ( so if you click the > button next to instrument name and the playing techniques button you only see natural below the flow.

Here are the screenshots original which I exported with Dorico and the re-imported version

Thank you for the images and the explanation. We’ll have to put our thinking caps on now that we see the problem more clearly.

I think the explanation is simply that Dorico does not handle yet completely playing techniques in XML import/export… Frankly, it’s really much better now than it was like two years ago :wink:

XML is a essentially format for notation. Not sound. Sound articulations are specific to each sound library and how each specific instrument has been configured. Playing techniques are not standard in xml beyond simple articulations.

Yes, @mavros, I’m afraid that if you are hoping to be able to use playing techniques to transfer this kind of data back and forth between Logic Pro and Dorico and have each application actually do the right thing on playback, I’m sorry to say that isn’t currently possible.

Sure it is. In fact your web server is already redirecting that baked in URL from Dorico to the current page.
When you click “Check for updates” from Dorico, the actual URL that Dorico sends out is

https://r.steinberg.net/goto/?id=1521&lang=en&plc=SHM

and that page generates a redirect that causes the browser to go to the actual update page.

document.location = 'http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/dorico_3.html?utm_source=IAP&utm_medium=Dorico&utm_content=Search%20Update';

so all you have to do is change that location to a new page that (perhaps) includes update info for both 3.1 and 3.5.

Heck, you don’t even have to do that - you could just update the existing webpage so it has information about both versions!

1 Like

Thanks for the answers. I think the issue is definitely the half backed implementation of the MusciXML standard in Dorico, Logic and other DAWs. The whole purpose of MusicXML is to capture all aspects of a music score and transfer it in an XML code generically readable by other programs with scoring functionality. As I mentioned it also does that with a very limited number articulations but the implementation is faulty. The link higher up shows the possibilities of MusicXML 4.0 with this respect. I agree it is not simple due to the different ways libraries and DAWs implement articulations. If all would use UACC that would be a solution.

To finalize this MusicXML test I tried out a Cubase generated MusicXML and it gives yet another messy half wrong transfer of the articulations. I show the screenshots below. Left the Cubase original and right the Dorico view with the working articulations. You now we succeed in transferring Flautando and Pizzicato but the other articulations do not come over. You do see some but not all articulations from the Cubase version in the Dorico score but these texts are not recognized by the expression map.

I checked the XML file and Cubase generates the articulation related XML lines using different coding than Logic but funny enough also different from Dorico which is made “in house”. It does not use the articulations statement as I show in the link above but a note related text using abbreviations for the articulations.

I would have been prepared to invest and learn Cubase 11 but if even with that “in house” program import/export for my main orchestral library does not work fully, I for now give up on Dorico in my usual workflow and will not invest in the full version. I will do some more testing to maybe use it directly as a DAW for pieces with 12 voices or less.

As promised I did some more tests and found a solution to get all articulations I used in a 12 player piece using only BBCSO instances transferred to Dorico, The idea came from my test using the Cubase score to generate the MusicXML.

If you in the Logic score editor add a text block with Flautando, Pizz. Etc above the note where you want to start the articulation, so as you do in Cubase and Dorico to change articulations, that is correctly coded in the generated MusicXML file and also correctly interpreted by Dorico when imported as an articulation and if you have the BBCSO expression maps loaded it also works correctly in the Play mode.

In fact all articulations which use some type of character above the note (all activated in the left menu bar in Dorico) like Staccato, Marcato, Tenuto etc. are correctly transferred in MusicXML. You only have to add the texts for those in the right menu bar in Dorico to get them transferred correctly from Logic.

I now have one small issue left. In the Play mode all VST instruments are automatically loaded correctly when I import the MusicXML but for some reason always the single instrument, so the BBCSO leaders are chosen and not the groups which I actually used for some players in Logic. For example my instrument in Logic is called « Bassoons a3 » but in Dorico « Bassoon « is loaded in the plugin for the player. Same with Strings Violins I give Violins I Leader in Dorico. Is there a naming convention I overlooked?

I’m not sure there’s a good solution to ensuring that you always get the section players in Dorico by default, but you should be able to create new section players in Setup mode, then drag the instruments from the default-created solo/single players to the new section players.

Thanks that works but I now created a VEP template for BBCSO in Dorico to avoid memory related freezes and eternally spinning balls. There I can just change the channels of the instruments in the left Play mode panel if it loads the solo instead of the section players. The expression map are linked to the channels so they are automatically changed to the correct ones as well.