MusicXML import resulting in a grand staff… with music, but no staff lines?!?

This is a funky one: I had an old MXL file (Suite no 1 for piano with title page.zip (36.0 KB)—you can just rename it to .mxl from .zip and it should be good to go) from a piece I wrote back in college and exported from Sibelius 7[1] nearly a decade ago as part of a backup strategy for my music at the time. When I tried to import it into Dorico 5 (5.1.21.2098), the result was somewhat surprising: all the music showed up, along with the attached text, on what Dorico correctly recognized as a piano and put on a grand staff… but there are no staff lines. :face_with_monocle:

While this might make for an interesting bit of postmodern musical performance art, that is not quite was I was going for when I wrote this back in 2007. :smirk:

Any tips on how to make the staff lines show up would be most welcome, so I can then get to work actually cleaning this up beyond that. :pray:t3:


  1. Sibelius 7 was the last version I had. For, uhh… reasons™. :wink: ↩︎

@chriskrycho Go in setup mode, expand the piano player, click on the three points, choose change instrument and in the picker choose piano and click change: all looks good again:
!


To see what caused this abnormality:
before you change the “piano” (that Sibelius generated) with the above procedure, you can see the instrument definition of this instrument showing some strange things :slight_smile: After the instrument change all will be ok.

Interestingly, even with all xml import preferences switched off, the imported “piano” was looking strange.

2 Likes

Much obliged—I can confirm that did the trick, so thank you! What a wacky import indeed.

1 Like

You are welcome!