Mute selected notes for playback

In playing around with different orchestrations, it would be nice to be able to mute a selected amount of notes in one staff to hear what it sounds like without those particular notes. The only solution that I have found is to copy, then delete, playback and then paste the notes back in. A hidden or muted notehead indication would be a real nice feature.

There’s already a solution for this.

I was looking for that too - it’s now called “suppress playback” - very useful BUT it’d be good if it also changed the colour of the notehead or something, easy to lose track of which notes have been muted if trying lots of variations. I see one can change the colour with another button but that’s an additional task that should be unnecessary in my view.

Now in Dorico 4.3 i can’t see this: Muted options … Exist any Options settings to enable it?

It’s now called “Suppress playback” to avoid any confusion with the “mute” playing technique:

Please for Dorico 5 make it as Keyboard Shortcut … ? :slight_smile:

1 Like

yes, please!!!

The colour of the notehead is changed to grey when Suppress Playback is enabled.

In Preferences > Key Commands, you will find Toggle Suppress Playback. You can add a keyboard shortcut for that.

1 Like

If you change the colour of all the upstem notes to blue for example, then suppress some of them, they’ll look exactly the same. I suggested to Daniel ages ago that it would help if the colour became desaturated, but I guess that’s still on the to-do list. It’s OK if you stick with default black as then the suppressed notes will turn grey. Yes, a key command would be handy (can’t remember if it’s available on a Streamdeck with the excellent Dorico plugin)