Mute the vox channel but still hear the send to the reverb

Hi, I have lead vocal track with a send going to an FX channel with a reverb inserted. Both the lead vox channel and FX are going to a vocal group, and from there to the mixbuss. I can adjust the reverb in the mix by either raising or lowering the FX channel. I now want to hear ONLY the vocal reverb without the Dry vocal. If I mute the lead vocal channel, the send is also muted. No vocal, no reverb. Is there a work-around that allows me to hear only the FX from the send? I tried the L (listen) button, but that bypasses my mixbuss processing and seems to go directly to the Control Room (no processing there for me). Am I doing something wrong? Any ideas? Thanks!

Use the send as a pre fader and turn the source channel volume down. There’s also a preference in the VST section which will allow you to mute the source channel without muting the pre fader send.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro/v10.5/en/cubase_nuendo/topics/preferences/preferences_vst_r.html

Thanks for the reply, ilmolto. I’m not at my studio, but I will soon look into your suggestion. I’m trying to better determine how the reverb blends in the mix. If I can focus on just the reverb without the dry signal, I’ll have a better idea of the approach to take: reverb time, EQ, width adjustment, compression, etc. To do this, I want to quickly remove the dry component and listen to only the verb channel. Then, I can quickly re-introduce the dry signal. I don’t want to adjust my dry channel FADER otherwise I’ll lose the setting; I don’t think anyone would want to keep moving the fader up and down after a good setting had been achieved. Just a quick, simple mute and/or solo button technique that does not completely mute both the dry and send channels. Cheers!

Yeah definitely check out that preference. It’s called “Mute Pre-Send when Mute”

You obviously want to make sure this setting is off so muting the source channel won’t mute the send. Hopefully that should do the trick.