Muting IRV sub-track mutes whole parent track

Don’t know if a bug or if I’m doing something wrong.
Muting an IRV’s sub-track actually mutes the entire parent track, so I can’t hear anything.
Giving each sub-track a separate MIDI channel doesn’t solve the problem.

As far as I know, this only happens if you assign individual tracks to a commonly used VST instrument.

Yes, that’s the case.
I have multiple voices in the same staff / VST, and editing notes velocities for different voices is currently impossibile if you don’t use IRV, because anything you click changes the velocity for every voice. So I read in the forum that you could use IRV and it works fine, however if I want to mute one voice (to better hear how it sounds in isolation) I can’t because it mutes everything.

You don’t actually need IRV for voice-specific dynamics control when entering with the ALT key.
to specific voices - use the input caret and select the correct voices before pasting.

IRV is more intended for divisi…
Better to read the manual …

1 Like

No, I’m talking about playback, not dynamics markings.
It’s a known problem that the devs have in their to do list, to be able to change velocities of different voices, and the workaround seems to be IRV right now.
At least that’s what I’ve understood, I’m new to the software.

Hi. I am afraid I might have misled you, derBertram is right in that, for different dynamics inside an instrument, irv is not necessary — unless you play legato patches that can only perform one note at a time :sweat_smile:

@MarcLarcher

• Have a piano.
  • Have two voices in the right hand.
  • Want to edit the velocities of the second voice for playback.
  • Open the playback editor: try to change the velocities of the second voice.
  • Result: anything you do also changes the velocities of the first voice (known problem that the devs know about).
    Workaround: use IRV.

If I’m wrong, I would like to know how you edit velocities of different voices (in the same staff).

Regardless, @Suilebis is correct. IRV is required for manually editing the velocity of individual notes in multi-voice situations. Adding independent dynamics isn’t the same thing.

2 Likes

@pianoleo Thanks for understanding the issue. The consequent problem that I’m facing is that in IRV if I do mute a sub-track, everything is muted. While there may be some technical reasons why this happens, from the user perspective there are no reasons why muting “staff b down stem” should mute my entire piano.

I find that if I use any VST other than NotePerformer, the mute and solo buttons to the left of the tracks in Play mode work correctly, soloing and muting just the selected track. If I use NotePerformer the whole instrument gets muted or soloed. This is as it always was - you need to launch NotePerformer’s own mixer using the e button, then use the M and S buttons within.

What VST are you using?

Pianoteq.

I’m afraid I don’t have Pianoteq running on this machine and my other machine is elsewhere. It may be that if you post your playback template that somebody can see where/if you’re going wrong.

I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong. It’s not a problem for you because with NotePerformer you can mute the various tracks inside the VST itself. In my case, where I have Pianoteq only, which is a “single piece” so to say, what Dorico should do is not sending MIDI notes for voice X to Pianoteq if I’m muting voice X.
Instead it doesn’t work like that, and it simply stops the entire VST from working (therefore for all the other voices).
This would probably not even be much of an issue if it weren’t related to the the velocities workaround. So it’s kind of a chain: to fix the bad velocities editor I’m doing IRV, but IRV also has its downsides (muting).

With HALion the Dorico mute and solo buttons work fine - I can continue listening to down-stem voice 1 while up-stem voice 1 on the same staff is muted (etc.).

NotePerformer has always had quirks; the question is whether Pianoteq has similar quirks.

Oh ok so it may be VST-related.

I’ve been using pianoteq for years, I will try and see how this behaves… Note that if you use IRV, you need to open several instances of the Pianoteq plug-in (one for each voice). Unfortunately, I don’t have time right now to experiment. I’ll keep you posted :wink:

Ok, this is funny, I tried Kontakt with a piano library, and now there’s the opposite problem: nothing can be muted.

This is obviously very bad, because of e.g. resonance and sound artifacts. But again, this may be “correct” IRV behaviour for its intended purpose, the fact is that I’m using IRV as a workaround, I shouldn’t even be using it. So, yeah, I probably should just forget about this muting problem, and wait for a fixed velocity editor, which I hope can come soon.

Still, this different behavior depending on the VST could be a Dorico bug, only the devs can tell, I guess.