my experience so far

Like the looks and feel but run into some issues already.

A crash when I clicked the analyze ebu r128 button while playing back a file, never happened before. Couldn’t reproduce it so far.

I have a cmc ai controller used for shortcuts like mastersection bypass, mono etc. Those work, but I also have a shortcut for fadeout sinusoid and insert silence and even though they appear to be working (i see the shortcut and when i remove it and add it again it’s there), they don’t.

Edit: ctrl backspace for insert silence works, the shortcut (F3 on the cmc AI) does not work.

mastersection; before it was possible to add let’s say 7 empty slots and I could insert the plugins where I wanted so that I could also have an empty slot that I could fill later, now it always shows up last int he chain. Not really practical since you don’t want an EQ after your final limiter.

mastersection: I work in two steps, first external gear (most of the times an EQ before for levels and first things) and then the rest of the plugins. I always record what’s played back (the only way to hear what’s going on while rendering) with all the plugins after the exernal gear bypassed. That way I have an analog bounce for small adjustments afterwards without redoing the analog chain. What I do than is remove the first plugin and the external gear (so basically all that was not bypassed) and render that file. With WL8 when I removed those plugins the bypassed plugins automatically where enabled and it was just a matter of click render. Now I have to enable them by hand again.

The GPK files appear in the map where the wav files are even though it’s set to another map. Changing it doesn’t do a thing.

Edit: in some kind of way it was not saved and when I reopened WL it was switched of again and after switching it on it works.

I have the meters floating on my second screen which works great as before, it’s just that now when I move the mouse over te meter I get the ‘popup’ on top to minimize and things. Or I must be doing something wrong?

Could you please make the scroll wheels a bit bigger like in < WL8

Is it possible to make the transport buttons bigger?

Thanks! So far pretty happy with the overall feel.

One more thing:
In the previous versions when you clicked discard in the recording dialog (my default, record what is played back) it said something like 'stop recording ’ and when you clicked yes, the recording dialog stopped and closed but the newly recorded file opened anyway. Now when you do that, the file is not there. You have to click stop recording first and than click the x.

I have the meters floating on my second screen which works great as before, it’s just that now when I move the mouse over te meter I get the ‘popup’ on top to minimize and things. Or I must be doing something wrong?

Do you mean a small round button? If yes, this is because you have activated the option to hide the tab, if a window is single. In that case, this popup button is here to access a menu.

mastersection; before it was possible to add let’s say 7 empty slots and I could insert the plugins where I wanted so that I could also have an empty slot that I could fill later, now it always shows up last int he chain. Not really practical since you don’t want an EQ after your final limiter.

Why don’t you put the limiter in the dedicated section, after the faders?

mastersection: I work in two steps, first external gear (most of the times an EQ before for levels and first things) and then the rest of the plugins. I always record what’s played back (the only way to hear what’s going on while rendering) with all the plugins after the exernal gear bypassed. That way I have an analog bounce for small adjustments afterwards without redoing the analog chain. What I do than is remove the first plugin and the external gear (so basically all that was not bypassed) and render that file. With WL8 when I removed those plugins the bypassed plugins automatically where enabled and it was just a matter of click render. Now I have to enable them by hand again.

Not sure what you mean. No option was removed here. What option are you speaking about?

I will check your other points.

Just had another crash btw, wanted to get the edit window back to get to the fadeout button and than it crashed. :confused:

about the gpk files… they still show up even though the option is set right.

Recall me: you’re on Windows or Mac?

windows7 x64, forgot to mention that indeed.

Have been playing around now a bit more and resolved some issues by just trying.

The plugin insert with an empty slot works a bit different now. In the past I had 7/8 slots empty and I could drag and drop easily. Now I can still do that but it starts at just 2 slots. Perfect for me! Just a different way of working.

Same goes for the bypassing of the plugins when using external gear and working in two steps, I just need to think a bit differently. :wink:

The CMC AI is still not responding to my commands even though it’s set up right. It imported the settings from wl8.5 and the settings are right, it’s just that the shortcuts from the menu (fadout and insert silence) don’t work from the cmc (f3 f4 buttons). The shortcut for bypass masters section works though, so maybe it has something to do with the fact that it’s coming from a different section of WL?

In total I had 3 crashes. Just had the third when i tried to play a 44.1k file after I played a 48khz file, so maybe converter (lynx hilo) needs to reset the driver. Never happens in wl8.5 with the same settings and driver.

The GPK issue is now also gone, in some kind of way the setting was disarmed again even though i’m 100% sure it was set OK. Could it be that in some kind of way it saved the setting but it lost it again after WL crashed? Because I think one of the crashes happened pretty much after I made those settings.

I must say, overall, I really dig WL9! Good job PG!

It’s funny that you mention this. I was going to suggest to change the setting but then make sure you safely and successfully quit WL right away to lock in the setting.

One thing I notice with WaveLab (and many other apps) is that if you do get a crash, any recently used paths for saving/rendering are not remembered and of course, many settings are also not remembered.