Mystic, Prologue and Specter not in Cubase 12

Wow thanks for that Edu. How on Earth did u figure that out. I tried in the past using jbridge but for some reason it bridged the plugins as fx plugins and were unusable. So basically there is no need to use jbridge? I’ll try your way this weekend. Oh and then there is that ‘Tonic’ filter plugin that i quite liked. Cheers for the input

Thanks Edu. Your trick worked a charm. I now have monologue and embracer working in cubase 11! :slight_smile:

Edit: Windows firewall wanted to block vstplug manager when i did this but i clicked on allow acccess (for cubase)

Also, i tried monologue on a busy project of mine and cubase stutters a little but as soon as i disable monologue cubase plays my project more smoothly

I just tried this - but 32bit plugins still being blacklisted in Cubase 11 and 12 - am I missing a step?

1 Like

Install Cubase 8 Pro. Go to the “Components” folder and copy the file “VSTPlugManager.dll” to the “Components” folder of Cubase 12
Then enter the Plugin manager and Update the Plugins

• Now you load 32bit VST2 Plugins with this step

Hi, thank you for taking the time to reply.

I have 8.5 installed, and followed your steps from that install.

Do I specifically need to do it from 8?

Many thanks,

Dean

Cubase stopped supporting 32bit Plugins since version 9, if I remember correctly, or even 8.5… that’s why I did it on top of the 8.0 installation… replacing “VSTPlugManager.dll" file in the “Components” folder of 12 and scan plugins again

Thanks. 8.5 was the last version that supported 32 bit. Not sure why VST bridge not working here!

Thank you for your reply.

What surprises me the most is that Steinberg use those plugins as a sales pitch for Cubase updates and then in a few releases they just remove them leaving you stranded.
This is a major reason for me to not use any of the Cubase plugins and it’s a shame because some of them are good. However even the simpler ones (e.g. delay) may be changed or removed making old projects difficult to open in newer vesions of the program (I’ve been user since the Cubase 5 days). Independent plugin makers usually support plugins much longer and most imporantly give you update paths (Sylenth, Waves’plugins, etc).
Finally I can’t wrap my head around this idea of forcing the adoption of VST3 instead of making it naturally appealing to developers and users.

As another user pointed out, these synths were developed by Virsyn and are part of their Tera synth workstation. A couple days ago I attempted to obtain a trial of Tera several times and received no response from Virsyn. So I get the impression that Steinberg is probably as disappointed as we all are. I suppose they are being polite / professional and not pointing fingers at Virsyn’s struggles as the reason for why these plugins have been discontinued. I’ve been noticing that many other devs are struggling as well these days.

you sir are a genius. Thank you for sharing this!

1 Like

The statement of discontinuing those plugins after a few releases is plain wrong. The synths Spector, Prologue and Mystique were introduced with Cubase 4 - that was in 2006. LoopMash was first introduced in Cubase 5 in 2009. All of them were either developed by or in collaboration with 3rd parties.

Strange reasoning as explained in the section above. Those plugins were not removed “after a few releases”. Of course over time there are situations which might require the discontinuation due to license or technical issues, especially if 3rd parties are involved.

With the 3 synths I guess it’s pretty clear, that VirSyn did change their focus years ago to iOS completely. They obviously are not even willing to invest any more efforts into their own desktop products, let alone their licensed stuff to 3rd parties as Steinberg in this case.

All the products removed would require efforts to make them compatible with current technology (especially MAC and M1). If some parties involved are not willing to go that way, it won’t work.

I don’t see how that is different with other vendors in principal. Upgrade paths do not apply here as those are integral parts of Cubase, I don’t understand what you wish to imply here in that context.
The current plugins are primarily in house developments however AFAIK.

Forcing? Let me bring you up to speed here. VST 3 was introduced with Cubase 4 and officially as SDK around 2008. Since then it has been continuously improved. So for more than 10 years this is available to developers. And yes, it is natural that the predecessor VST 2 is discontinued after some time. The maintenance of VST 2 SDK has stopped in 2013. And only years later SB stopped to license new VST 2 developers.

It’s not Steinbergs fault if most of the developers tried to sit on their hands instead of working on the new technology (which obviously would replace VST 2 at some point in any case). The announcement to discontinue VST 2 support in Steinbergs products in the (near) future did obviously pace up the action on the remaining devs regarding VST3 support.

2 Likes

Thanks, It is work perferctly!

1 Like

Virsyn Cube! An interesting little dev!

1 Like

End plugins “so often”? AFAIK this happened only once, the last update. Also as already mentioned they were developed many many years ago by a 3rd party dev, who does not really seem to care to keep them up to date. If you cannot rely on your partner at all, you better stop collaborating, so that move was completely understandable by SB and is not their fault. You can still use them on C11 so you won’t lose anything and there even is a “hack/workaround” to make them work in C12.

I think you are assuming here that new is better. Some users and developers may have a different opinion. VST3 hasn’t obviously replaced VST2 in my system. I use program changes to change presets in external hardware and plugins and VST3 plugins still have a lot of problems with that (I really don’t care who is to blame for it, it is what it is). I’m actually never installing the VST3 version of plugins and it is working very well for me so far.

1 Like

Your info was/is VERY, very useful to me in getting Prologue from C11 Elements to C12 Pro. I don’t know if the info I’m gonna add now is mentioned already (in that case sorry for that), but concerning the presets: I first loaded each presets separately in Prologue. Then saved each preset using the ‘save preset’ command. After that you should be able to find them in VST Presets folder as you described earlier. Maybe there’s a easier way, but that’s how it worked for me. Hope this info will help some other bloke :wink:

What I find incredible is that every time that there is an upgrade either is cubase or windows or whatever there is ALWAYS something missing which makes the word “Upgrade” redundant, and don’t let me start about elicence verification .

Can you please provide these files somehow? I only have from Cubase 7.

Steinberg should allow their users to choose or at least provide the solution for the 32bit issue natively. Seen that this solution works with no drawbacks, it makes no sense that they prevent their users to use 32bit plugins and instruments.

@Steinberg please provide these files from your end and put it in your helpcenter, so people dont need to find workarounds themselves. I spend thousands of Euros for your software and with every new version i have to tinker again myself.

I got this working, thanks!

Were any of you able to get non-Steinberg apps to work? I loved Intakt but that doesn’t work.

Also, with this solution, your Cubase is switched into 32-bit plugin mode only right?
I was not able to get the 64-bit plugins to work with this dll/app replacement method.