N10 - Frequent eLicensor Control errors

I got a reply to my last Support ticket yesterday.

This is for Mac - no explanation but a link to this version of the E-Licenser app

"Please de-install the current eLC and re-install the latest 32 bit version from

https://download.steinberg.net/static_content/eLC-6-11-3-1244-32Bit-1e099357-2cf8-46c1-9685-16d2844079cf/eLicenserControl.dmg

"
(note - it’s marked 32Bit)

Which I have done and - NO MORE ERRORS for 24 hours now. It’s a bit early to say for sure, but I’m allowing myself a little bit of hope.

And Tech Support have marked my ticket SOLVED so it must be, right?

Note that the Steinberg website was down for maintenance yesterday - the new site is running today.

I would say if it works, then it’s SOLVED for now.
If it is a 32bit only version, then it will stop working if you update to 10.15 in the future, as it will only support 64bit programs.

I wanted to drop a cynic comment about eLicenser but I think I’ll just close the browser window.

This is an absurd problem to be having. I am now making it my daily workflow EVERY time I boot Nuendo to do a fresh machine boot followed by opening e-licenser and running maintenance and leaving it open while booting Nuendo. That’s ridiculous. This is wasting my clients’ time (not to mention mine). I normally wait until the .5 rev of Nuendo so the bugs can be shaken out first but version 8 inspired me to upgrade sooner this time around. I will not make this mistake again.

At the very bottom of the notes for the 10.1 update:

“A missing content license error when starting Nuendo 10 has been resolved”

I’ll update over the weekend and see if this helps my set-up… Would love to mark this thread “resolved”!

The 32 bit version of elicenser app resolves it for me.

Nope.

(One of two error message I received a few short sessions after updating)

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 8.23.44 PM.png

And two of these after quitting…

Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 9.53.10 PM.png

You may already have this version of the e-licenser app, but this is the one which fixed it for me. Note that it’s NOT the same as the latest version of the app which the e-licenser website points to.

Thank you for contacting Steinberg Technical Support.

Please de-install the current eLC and re-install the latest 32 bit version from

https://download.steinberg.net/static_content/eLC-6-11-3-1244-32Bit-1e099357-2cf8-46c1-9685-16d2844079cf/eLicenserControl.dmg

These Error messages started earlier this year with N8. N10 did not make them disappear.

I can confirm my copy of N10.1 is running stable after reverting/installing the 32 bit version David linked to above. (Thanks, David!)

Again, no error messages for this week since downgrading to the 32 bit e-licensor app. Nuendo is so much nicer to work with now!

… still unreliable! And for sure I´m not the only one clicking and changing the eLicensers around!

Did you try this version of the E-Licenser Control app?

You may already have this version of the e-licenser app, but this is the one which fixed it for me. Note that it’s NOT the same as the latest version of the app which the e-licenser website points to.

Thank you for contacting Steinberg Technical Support.

Please de-install the current eLC and re-install the latest 32 bit version from

Me too.

Installed N10 Demo on a completely fresh OS 10.13.6 install and I keep getting “USB Licenser error change ports”. I have always run the licenser on a powered USB 3 hub no problems. On this install it is flakey on a USB Hub and a USB Port on a thunderbolt dock. Getting it directly into a computer port is hard due to other gear… but it did seem to stabilize things.

I actually have two licensers. One with just Nuendo and another with Instruments, plug ins, a older Cubase version, and so on. At one point the error message asked me to do maintenance on the dongle. So i did ( using the version of eLicencer installed with N10 demo ). It did the maintainer cycle on both dongles then told me the second dongle with all my instruments was “Broken”. Thats what it said in the Dongle column too. “Broken”! This persisted for a few restarts and dongle re-insertions but eventually it came back fine. I don’t think the dongle is Broken… it would be a mighty coincidence if it chose this exact time to begin to fail.

somethings up…

New one today. This error popped up during a session and I ended up having to force-quit Nuendo. :imp:

Booting N10.1 has been pretty smooth since reverting back to the 32-bit eLicensor, but clearly SB has a major problem on their hands with Nuendo and the eLicensor. Hope they’re making fixing eLicensor issues a #1, urgent, top priority!

Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 11.46.37 AM.png

Yup… I got this one today.

“e Licenser Control error
Application Nuendo has caused the following error
Failed to send Getinfo command”

( how do I get screen shots to upload when I submit… ?)

Then it goes into a sequence or errors about changing USB ports while Nuendo seems to keep trying to launch in the background. Once it even succeeded! Other times I have to reboot.
Moving the key seems to work for a bit … but them it fails again and I move it back to where it once failed before and its fine.

Using a good Anker USM 3 power hub, and an OWC Thunderbolt Hub for extra ports on a 27" iMac. Never had a dongle issue before N10. Just saying.
Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 6.24.41 PM.png

This morning I received a “Connection to protection device lost.” error message. sigh… I will try bypassing the USB hub and plugging the dongle directly into a computer USB port for a bit.

This Nuendo dongle calamity is seriously tarnishing my opinion of Steinberg software. Have tried all suggested solutions from repairing, updating & reinstalling eLicensor, to reverting back to the 32 bit version. I seriously can’t recall having to spend so much time trouble-shooting software!

Same “failed to send getinfo” error ever since I put in 10.1. Moved to 10.2 and updated and then resynchronized the eLicenser software didn’t help.

Nuendo seems to launch after this one error – which is better than the multiple errors and abort I was getting with 10.0 – and I haven’t noticed any functionality missing. Yet.

Mac 10.13.6 on a 3.2GHz Quad cheese grater.

Since I did my trickery I posted about earlier in the thread I have never had a single elicenser issue. And we have twelve systems here.
What the solution was? I don’t know for sure but it was cheap, easy to do, and my issues went away. Not sure if it is the same for the rest of you though.

My personal theory is that the new versions put higher demands of fast response from the license key and a old dongle paired with inadequate USB connections just isn’t fast enough.
I might be totally wrong though.

I Replaced my old long dongle with a brand new short one and replaced my old USB hub and extenders and I decided to put the license key directly on the machine.

If you have issues and you haven’t done this I suggest you do, AND report back if successful or not so we get more than a few anecdotal it works or it doesn’t.

Is this the fix you’re talking about Erik?

'Fraid I don’t understand it…

When I was deep into these problems a few months ago I did replace my very elderly dongles (early 2000’s) and although it helped, it made the boot/reboot/launch cycle considerably faster, it certainly DIDN’T fix the errors. However, installing and using the 32 bit app has worked and I’ve had maybe one or two errors only since then (instead of multiple errors every day).

BTW the problem is by no means limited to N10. I had it with N8 and Cubase 10, and lots of the E-Licenser protected plugins.

Not sure what I’ll do when OSX goes fully 64 bit, but I’m usually slow to upgrade the OS and hopefully Steinberg will have the issue sorted well before that.