N11 binaural render?

Sorry for the crosstalk @profdraper, I didn’t realize @Paulwr was asking you.

I want to be sure to understand… “stand alone Dolby Atmos app” that is not the Production Suite, correct? (its a plugin as I understand) And I don’t think you mean the Mastering Suite, do you? I’m just hanging the last speaker of 7.1.4 and the custom audio wires are all created, just a good bit of ac wiring, raceways such to complete hopefully by Monday. Hoping to have so things to try out for overcoming this 3D headphone binaural downmix dilemma . I am PC but can get a Mac to try certain things. If I only need to buy a used or small Mac for doing final renders or just the binaural render, I can probably live with that IF I have a fairly decent monitor capability of the binaural to check back and forth as I mix in 7.1.4. A friend who built his Atmos setup and finished before me has some mixes under his belt with Atmos, and he’s blown away by the binaural quality downmix he gets when he mixes monitoring both back and forth throughout the mixing process. He’s a brilliant producer/mixer and we’ve both done 3D binaural mixing using DearVR Pro… this is another universe now.

This might be a stupid question (I’d say about 4:1 in favor of that); When people compare different binaural ‘downmixes’ what is the difference between the Dolby one and others? I mean, is this a case where one could monitor on a “lesser” format and as long as it’s fine there as well as on speakers it’ll translate just fine to Dolby binaural as well?

This is one of the options I am exploring. The 3D mixing is quite touchy in binaural and a friend of mine who is getting quite good with it (and started in DearVR Pro like I did) has gotten his Atmos system up and running before me and is VERY excited about mixing Atmos Surround and getting a better than ever binaural downmix from that. BUT, he tells me the only way is to be monitoring back and forth throughout the entire mix process. Being I’m on PC, my options are limited. Once I’m set up next week I’ll start my experiments including getting my hands on a small Mac for a number of scenarios including mixing on the PC in Nuendo with as good a substitute as I can find for binaural monitoring and then doing the render on a Mac with the Atmos Production Suite on it.

How is it coming along, @Paulwr ?

Had some other things come up…hope to finish wire routing today or tomorrow for the speakers. Speakers mounted to the ceiling great with the articulating brackets. Then I’ll spend some time familiarizing myself with Atmos mixing for a few days, then jump on figuring a solid binaural monitoring workflow that hopefully remains in Atmos end to end without breaking the bank. I compose and use four pc’s for that. Worst case might be running Mastering Suite on another computer, but even with all the Madi capability I have, that route runs me about $3400 for software plus hardware that I’d rather not spend. Of course that bumps me up beyond just binaural monitoring and down mixing and might be necessary in the long run.

Yeah, that mastering suite is definitely a barrier to entry price-wise. Also I haven’t even begun to look at the costs around actually licensing the Atmos logo and brand for delivery to large audiences. Being able to create it is one thing, but getting the license to distribute is completely another!

I’m very interested in your binaural adventures - because for now, YouTube only delivers in two channels, so binaural encoding (or at the very least, pro-logic style encoding) are the only options for 3D audio delivery. I keep hoping that’s going to change - but it probably won’t until YouTube makes an agreement with Dolby to deliver multi-channel audio if the video uploaded was encoded that way.

While more are adopting Atmos, such as the top tier for Amazon Music and others, great immersive 3D headphone mixes ought to remain an important part of music delivery. Gamers, people listening late at night, those without the big speaker systems, music lovers that will never invest in a big Atmos speaker system… very many of them want to enjoy 3D style music mixes on normal headphones… this may be the time the surround thing sticks. It technology better than ever before and that likely plays into the growing popularity.

1 Like

I’m interesting in getting some head tracking in Nuendo 11 without paying big bucks for VR gear. Just a cheap clip pin head track for my Sennheiser 650 headphones… Mixing Atmos in Nuendo using their Ambidecoder and custom HRTF would be amazing with just a pair of headphones.

1 Like

Hi Friends , Today i exported my atmos mix to binaural , Also done a A B test with the binaural file created from Avid dolby renderer and very happy to say i have got exact results
these are the routings , under output sections we should have a stereo bus one 7.1.4 bus for Atmos renderer and finally one 3rd order ambisonic bus , the signal from atmos bus to ambisonic bus is bussed through the send , the output of the ambisonic bus is monitored by an ambisonic audio track { monitor enabled } only this monitored audio track alone is routed to the stereo bus,
by using ambidecoder plugin in monitored track we could send the binaural pan information to stereo bus , once everything is set its just as normal stereo export ,

2 Likes

The routing you described here is kinda difficult for me to understand at the moment. But I shall try to apply it. In any case, could you please point out step by step? I apologize for my ignorance.

simple steps as follows
nuendo { control room disabled }

1. stereo out which should be as main output { status connected to interface speaker out }
    2 add 7.1.4 bus in outputs { status not connected to interface }
    3 add 3rd order ambisonic bus {status not connected to interface }
    now on arrange window
    1 route all tracks output to 7.1.4 bus which is our atmos bus
  2. send the signal from atmos bus to 3rd order ambisonic bus { in the atmos channel use last send to route its signal to 3rd order ambisonic bus
    3 create one audio track in 3rd order ambisonic configuration and choose the input as the 3rd order ambisonic out put and output to stereo bus , now enable the monitor on the audio track u created , Now all set ,you can open the Ambidecoder clicking on the panner setting of the new audio monitoring track , Now after mixing if you export through stereo out you will get desired surround sound output as close to atmos adm file output
1 Like

Thank you so much for your kindness.