N13 behaviour inconsistent with N12

Just playing with N13 Trial while I still have it.

In N12 I usually position the Transport panel along the bottom of the screen and the Project and Mixconsole windows filling most of the area of the screen above the Transport panel. If I then double-click on the Main Menu bar at the top of the screen, any parts of the desktop that are visible will be blacked out, leaving any other windows unaffected by this, making for a more focused viewing area. However in N13 with the same screen setup, when I double-click on the Main Menu bar at the top of the screen the Project window is immediately made full screen (behind the the Transport panel) and all other open windows are hidden! This leaves part of the Project window hidden behind the Transport panel and all other windows invisible! The same thing happens if the Mixconsole window mainly fills the screen - it will immediately be hidden by the Project window filling the screen. This makes the idea of blanking out the desktop useless. The functions in N11 and N12 were much better - the desktop was made invisible/visible and nothing else changed!

Hi @fenderchris

Thanks for reporting this inconsistent behavior to us. I’m afraid sometimes pictures are worth thousand words. Would it be possible to upload a few screenshots or videos (can be also filmed) to compare both version side by side?

Cheers,
Armand

@Armand:

Here are some pix: I’m seeing it a little differently today, but basically when double-clicking on the Main Menu in N12 the background (Desktop) is being blacked out and all open windows retain their original sizes and remain visible - nothing gets hidden behind the Transport panel - all very tidy.

In N13 I don’t think that the desktop background is being hidden in the same way -The background is being completely hidden by enlarging either the Project or Mixconsole window (depending on which one is currently on top), some parts become hidden behind the Transport Panel and the panel has to be moved to look at what is behind it. This process also completely hides all other windows that may be open at the time. Not nearly as good and user-friendly as the N12 method.

Nuendo-12 pix:

Nuendo-13 Pix:

Thank you, now I understand the issue. That is correct, this feature was removed as we moved away from the non-standard standalone floating top menu paradigm.

Cheers,
Armand

Well, the new version is not so good. This is another reason for me to stay with N12.

1 Like

I also have N13 trial. I said to myself: despite the many criticisms of the interface, especially my own, I must take a serious look at it. Well, it’s the same thing. I’m not even working on N13 and I’m staying on N12. I don’t understand the design direction. Space could have been saved in 100 other ways, including calming down the fonts (they seem to scream) and better management of unnecessary space related to repeating the same functions or presenting superfluous floors in the Mixconsole (with fixed number options for insert boxes and the like). A lot of possible options everywhere instead of imitating Studio One. There’s been a CUBENDO style for a long time, and it’s held its own. With N13, there are several clothing styles on the same mannequin. It’s undoubtedly pretty for fashion, but it doesn’t work well. The eyes suffer from the overly strong black-and-white contrasts, and the brain wonders why we’re changing centuries at every door.

It seems to me that there was a promise from SB on this forum, to arrive shortly with options concerning the interface, options that would respect user feedback. I haven’t seen any follow-up.

P.S. I only use N13 to change the track order in the main window. Because N12 doesn’t let you widen the left window enough to read longer track names. This is a bug or an oversight (version 12!) that has been corrected in V13. I miss the days when versions were corrected on their own, and not with the obligation to buy the next version. I paid for V12, and long before that for Cubase since V6. I think this flaw is unacceptable in professional software. I’m sticking with N12, so I’m trapped in this too-narrow column. And I’m not going to 13 until SB offers alternatives to its failed interface. Sorry to speak my mind.

N12 V N13… A clear drop in visibility.

2 Likes

After a couple of months of use, I agree. The new UI is jarring to look at, no matter how I tweak it. The colours are over saturated and tweaking the opacity of the colours lead to inconsistent black and white text in the track panel. Not fun to look at 8hrs a day.

1 Like

We’ve already had a number of threads about this and Steinberg said they’re looking to change things. We probably don’t need to rehash this, right? This thread is about the behavior of the app, not the look of it.

2 Likes

Hi,

I can confirm this is known to the team and that they are working on it.

Let’s keep the look-and-feel of the track buttons out of this thread if possible nonetheless. Thanks for your understanding!

Cheers,
Armand

1 Like

I agree with MattiasNYC.

The best way I have found to overcome this problem at the moment is to make the Transport Panel wide enough to cover the width of my screen and place it at the bottom of the screen, and then size the Project and Mixconsole windows so that they each fill the entire remainder of the screen (above the Transport panel) - then NOT double-click the Main Menu at all. That keeps most of the desktop hidden I think. At the end of the day this does not matter too much to me personally as I am not currently planning to become a Nuendo-13 user as I’m much happier with N12 graphics.

You’re right, I went back the way I came first because of the idea of space, then I came back by reflex on this rather important wrong step. Sorry about that. I’m glad to know that SB is taking care of straightening things out.