Names of notes while moving mouse

For a note that has already been entered, the pitch is displayed in the status bar. Even if you now move the note, you can see at what pitch it is currently located.

When you insert a new note, you will not see what the note is currently called. However, this would be a simplification, especially with transposing instruments, or if you are drawing far above or below the staff lines.

Maybe this function already exists, and I just haven’t discovered it yet. If not, it would also make sense to display not only the sounding pitch, but also the notated pitch.

Hum, when you input a note it becomes selected, and it then shows its (sounding) pitch in the status bar right away. I would guess that you don’t need to see the written pitch, because you can read that directly off the staff, or am I missing something?

Hello, thanks for the answer.
It is so that I often like to set and compose notes with the mouse, because I am actually a singer, guitar player, or clarinet player, but not a keyboard player. It is then difficult for me to transpose the notes for clarinet in my head while placing them in the staves. I have the same problem when I set notes for a viola, for example. This viola has a different clef. Of course I can count the position of an “F”, for example, but it would be easier for me if I could see what pitch I have just reached as soon as I move the mouse. When I set the note in Dorico, I can see the note that I move over the staff, but I do not know its name. Only when the note is already in the system will its name be displayed. Later, when editing the notes already entered, when I move the note with the arrow keys, its name is dynamically displayed in the status bar.
I would like to have this dynamic display of the note names already when entering the notes (while still moving the mouse).

I hope I have expressed myself clearly. My language is not English.

Thanks, you have indeed expressed yourself clearly. That would be a little awkward for us to implement as things stand, but I’ll make a note of it as something for us to think about in future.

Thank you very much, that’s nice to hear.
I was just thinking about it again.
Cubase shows the dynamic mouse value in the Note Editor.
In addition, Dorico would have had to display the
note name, and its possibly transposed name.
This would be good for transposing instruments.
You could also display the MIDI note number in the status bar.
This would be helpful for the entries in the program settings,
where the MIDI number is used for various parameters.

Umm… why don’t you switch to concert pitch or set inout pitch to “sounding pitch” and enter tone names using computer keyboard? Am I missing something?

This does not change the fact that I would like to see which note the mouse is currently on. And as I have already written, I am more the mouse person than the keyboard person. :wink:
I have been entering notes into the computer with the mouse since Notator on Atari. I use the keyboard to select the note length while I set the pitch with the mouse. With the mouse I am also able to enter note jumps that are wider than a fourth directly.

You can extend the range of the written notes wiyh the keyboard with ctrl and alt-shift. Although I get your point, you should be aware that Dorico is built to favour efficient workflow. Which is more keyboard based one than mouse based one. Although things are getting more even lately :wink: