Native Dolby Atmos Support

I’d love the implementation that Nuendo has for Athmos to also be there in Cubase.
Who else?

1 Like

I would be very surprised if this is not part of the Cubase 12 update

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken it is supported in Nuendo. I know, I would love the to have Dolby Atmos support in Cubase as well but I don’t think they will do it while they have a product already that supports it.

1 Like

I would actually prefer that they didn’t do that. I’d rather have new/more music making features in Cubase and leave the advanced mixing features for Nuendo.

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Until it is getting into mainstream for music I think they will keep it exclusive for Nuendo.
(But it might get in to mainstream music fast with apple driving in that direction)

Why would you PREFER a feature not to be included? What is hurting you with getting more features? :man_facepalming:

That’s exactly what I fear. I would rather have a cubendo that this weird cubase/nuendo separation. And the crossgrade offerings where you have to give back your cubase license when you want to use nuendo (which lacks some of the cubase features!) is just ridiculous. Make a loyal Steinberg user less appreciated then those who crossgrade from other third party products.

1 Like

I’m just thinking in terms of resources and priorities. Sure, more features are always great, but if I have to choose between something that helps me make music and something that is a very advanced/specific mixing feature, I choose the one that helps me make music.

I’d rather hire an engineer to mix my music in Atmos than have it as a cubase feature that I’ll never use.

But hey, if you want it and you think you’ll use it, by all means, advocate for it. But for me, it’s literally the last thing I want from Cubase.

1 Like

There are no features in Cubase that Nuendo lacks, from my experience and having used Cubase before crossgrading to Nuendo. I’m not missing anything from Cubase while working in Nuendo, rather I have more than I bargained for

2 Likes

Merging Cubase and Nuendo basically just means getting rid of Cubase since Nuendo is Cubase + everything else. At that point SB would have to decide on a price for that DAW. The price of Nuendo? Cubase users wouldn’t want that. The price of Cubase? Now SB is losing money (assuming the same amount of users).

As for crossgrades etc. I really think that the better option would be for a Nuendo license to also allow for running Cubase instead. That way any Cubase user that doesn’t want to use Nuendo because updates are lagging behind a bit can use either.

2 Likes

Exactly. If this was possible I would have crossgraded already. They don’t take away your protools license if you cross grade to Steinberg… why would they take my cubase away? I don’t get it.

1 Like

It’s all about product differentiation. When the codebases were aligned at the release of Cubase 10 and then Nuendo 10, Nuendo is really “Cubase Pro Plus”. The release of Nuendo fairly closely follows the release of the corresponding Cubase version; Nuendo 11 lagged Cubase 11 by just a few weeks.

The differing names are mainly marketing. Nuendo is sold as a product for users working on production sound and/or game design, with a different product manager to Cubase.

The only feature in Cubase that isn’t available in Nuendo is VST Transit, for some reason I have never really understood. Perhaps this is product differentiation - VST Transit is aimed squarely at music uses. A Cubase user can use Nuendo just as if it was Cubase Pro, ignoring the extra features, but Nuendo is not sold as a music product. You can open Nuendo files in Cubase Pro, though not in Cubase Elements or below.

As @MattiasNYC suggests, I’d like to see Steinberg Licensing allow Nuendo licence holders to run the corresponding version of Cubase Pro. However, that will not help with the case he mentions, of Nuendo updates lagging Cubase, unless they allow Nuendo users to pre-purchase the upcoming Nuendo update so that they can run the new Cubase version.

1 Like

True…

1 Like

It pains me that if I upgrade to Nuendo I can’t use the same license for Cubase. It seems silly to me that Steinberg are actively dissuading me (and others, it seems) from giving them money!

1 Like

To me the ‘problem’ with not being able to run Cubase for a user with a Nuendo license was always if that user wanted new features sooner. That didn’t apply to me but apparently some users really needed the new stuff asap. So to me at least that’s really the only reason for why it’s necessary, and as long as the wait-time is short enough between releases it shouldn’t really be a problem. But I agree that opening either on the same license would be good.

1 Like

So not YET, but we’ll get it! HOOOORAAAY! Thank you, Steinberg!

1 Like