Natural colliding with ledger line

Hi all,

latest update, Dorico Pro.

This is ob I+II in the score:

And this is the ob I part layout:

Why do I get the collision in the part?

Take a look at the settings for accidental gaps and spacing in Engraving options. There’s more here than I have snipped, but just to show you where to look in that section:

The distance from the note looks the same.
My guess is that something is preventing ledger line shortening in parts.
Any manual edit from your part we should know of?

No manual interventions on my part.
It seems that the settings are correct for the condensed version but not for the part.

My settings for ledger lines are:

I don’t find any obivous setting to work with in the ”gap to right”-section.

It’s not under ledger lines, it’s under Accidentals…Gaps.

This is a ridiculous example showing the parameter to change this:

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 8.13.32 AM

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 8.13.19 AM

…but it seems that the ledger line settings and the gap to right settings work together in some way.

But

Not that these were my actual settings, but apparently if I want to change the shortened ledger line to something else, it does not take distance to accidental in consideration.

Good observations! I’m also seeing that by shortening the ledger lines left of the notehead does indeed shorten the ledger line but the gap remains the same between the accidental and the notehead.

That’s why I believe it is better to adjust the space between the accidental and the notehead as in my previous post. In essence, to avoid collisions, move the accidental to create more space instead of shortening the width of the ledger line.

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 8.29.21 AM
Result:
Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 8.29.30 AM

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 8.29.52 AM
Result:
Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 8.30.01 AM

Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 8.35.34 AM
Result:
Screenshot 2024-06-01 at 8.35.43 AM

1 Like

But why the different results in the condensed score and the part in my first post? Should not be any difference, unless I am missing something.

If you can share the file, I’m sure someone could come up with the reason.

I think that collisions between leger lines and accidentals should be ignored, just as we ignore the overlaps with staff lines.

Because engraving options are project-wide, I can’t think of a way in which the default appearance of this combination of accidental versus ledger line could differ between the full score and a part layout. Is it possible that you’ve overridden any of the properties for the ledger line length?