Nearly every time - closing hangs

Closing a project hangs, and requires I restart my computer to free the audio driver. Cubase 11.0.4 on Windows 10.

This needs solving please!!

Do you think this post will help anyone solve your problem?

Please follow these guidelines to make a proper bug report:
How to report a bug in Cubase - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Hi,

Are you on Mac or Windows, please?

If you are on Windows…

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Once Cubase becomes frozen, open the Task Manager, right-click to Cubase and click to Generate DMP file.

If this doesn’t work, use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

2 Likes

Thanks for that, Martin.

I couldn’t generate anything via the Task Manager in Windows. I close my Cubase project window and Cubase seems to be stuck in a loop as there is a small and varying amount of cpu activity being shown used by Cubase until I kill the Cubase process. During this the Cubase menu bar is non responsive.

I will try the ProcDump, but I suspect it might not get anything either if Cubase is looping, but I will report back on the next hang up.

When I run the ProcDump as specified Cubase terminates. I assume that is not supposed to happen?

That dmp file is here…

And now my Waves plugins don’t work after that latest Cubase crash with the ProcDump.

Hi,

The crash seems to be related to the graphic card driver. Please, make sure, your graphic card driver is up to date.

I updated the graphics driver to the latest version. No change. Cubase still will hang on closing a project.

Why would running ProcDump cause Cubase to close?

Hi,

Procdump would generate a DMP file, so we should see, what is causing the hang.

It did generate a dmp file. That’s what I posted earlier. When I run Procdump as specified Cubase terminates.

I am thinking it might be due to Sonarworks in the Control Room. I have it as the last plugin in the control room, and it is not activated.

I have tried running Cubase without Sonarworks loaded and based on the little use I gave Cubase it did not have an issue when closing a few projects.

I just installed the latest version of Sonarworks as mine was outdated. I put it back into the insert slot in Control Room.

I did a few things in a project, closed the project, and I thought it was going to be ok when I was able to go to the Cubase menu and get the dropdown for the Hub. But, then Cubase went away. No crashdump created.

Hi,

If it was working without the plug-in and if it crashes with the plug-in, then I would recommend to stop the usage of the plug-in and get in contact with the plug-in vendor. Share the DMP file with them. They could have an issue in the graphic area.

Like I said, there is no dmp file.

I have not yet confirmed that plugin is the cause. More time is needed to see.

However, wouldn’t it be good for Steinberg to investigate, since the host application is doing the crashing? Shouldn’t it be better able to handle misbehaving plugins? Seems like a possible opportunity to me.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Once Cubase becomes frozen, open the Task Manager, right-click to Cubase and click to Generate DMP file.

If this doesn’t work, use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Martin, it seems you aren’t reading my posts. When I use ProcDump as specified, Cubase terminates. Therefore, I cannot use Cubase when Procdump is running.

Hi,

That’s correct. Cubase terminates thanks to the ProcDump at the faulty point. And it creates the dmp file. Please, share the dmp file to be able to investigate, where is the break point.

Previously Cubase terminated as soon as I launched Procdump. I will try it again without the Sonarworks plugin inserted and see if it does the same. I already provided the dmp file from the previous effort above.

Hi. I have run the Procdump after starting Cubase and with the Hub open. Cubase did not terminate. So that’s good.

I opened my 48K template with a few Piano tracks in Kontakt5 and as VSTi. There is also an empty Kontakt6 track.

The Procdump ended and created a dmp file while the template was loading. Cubase did not terminate.

I have uploaded the zip file containing the dmp, as well as a text file with what Procdump wrote to the command window. That is here…

But, if I run Procdump again after the template/project is open then Cubase terminates. That second dmp file is here…

This is the gist of the initial Procdump dump screen output…

Press Ctrl-C to end monitoring without terminating the process. The “Hung Window” that it refers to must be the little window that shows what track is being loaded when opening a project.

[23:33:24] Exception: 000006BA
[23:33:24] Exception: 04242420
[23:33:26] Exception: E06D7363.?AV_com_error@@
[23:33:27] Exception: E06D7363.H
[23:33:32] Exception: E06D7363.H
[23:33:32] Hung Window:
[23:33:32] Dump 1 initiated: C:\Procdump\Cubase11.exe_211129_233332.dmp
[23:33:33] Dump 1 complete: 68 MB written in 0.9 seconds
[23:33:34] Dump count reached.

One curious thing that I see when looking at the dump file is Sonarworks listed in the threads window . But I do not have Sonarworks loaded in the project.

Hi,

I’m sorry, there is no Cubase or any plug-in mentioned in the callstack at all. There are just some Windows lines.