Need 2nd License: Crossgrade again? Portable update?

One existing license for Sibelius or Finale should only be used once to buy a Dorico crossgrade. I would discourage you from buying a second license anyway, because then you would have to buy two updates in future to update both copies, and you’ll always be paying more for the software than you should. Once the current eLicenser system is retired, this will cease to be a problem, but unfortunately it will still be quite a while before the eLicenser goes away. In the meantime, if you have specific need, e.g. you’ve accidentally gone on a trip without your USB-eLicenser and need to work, email me (at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de) or PM me here and I can send you a time-limited activation code that will get you back up and running until you are reunited with your USB-eLicenser.

To Daniel,

‘‘One existing license for Sibelius or Finale should only be used once to buy a Dorico crossgrade’’.

Could you explain the advantage of giving up a full license that may be useful in the future.
I am considering Dorico but like the thought of having both will the crossgrade option cancel
the existing license completely without any way into new updates or system upgrades.

Regards

You’re not giving up a license, merely demonstrating proof of ownership.

I continue to operate with my Finale license as usual, after showing it for the crossgrade process.

Many of us acquired multiple Finale licenses when cross-grades were less expensive than upgrades—sometimes by $50. Weird but true. MakeMusic didn’t fix that till a few years ago.

Over the past 35 years, I acquired a large number of licenses for notation apps. Most no longer exist but a few of those still qualify for cross-grades to current apps.