need advice for 27" monitor

I am looking for a 27" monitor to use with Nuendo for mixing. Now I use an ASUS 24" and I am happy with resolution and everything else. Since the monitor is not very close to my eyes I want to try a 27" with same hd resolution and see things a little bit bigger.
The only thing I am worried about is the text sharpness. I tried to use my LG LED 27" TV but the text is horrible.
I saw a 27.5" LCD computer monitor in a shop and the text sharpness was very good, but the monitor is thick and heavy.
I was looking at the ASUS VE278Q or similar range but I have never seen it working.
Any advice really appreciated.
Thanks

The apple cinema display is very sweet( 2560 X1440) talk about real estate, but plan on spending almost a grand. B&H Photo often has the best pricing. Go to your local Apple store or Best Buy and check one out.

To make use of the brightness control from windows you need the following .exe.
If you run D:\Drivers\Apple\BootCamp64.msi on your Snow Leopard DVD, Boot Camp 3.0 will install on a PC.

Next, you can update from Boot Camp 3.0 to 3.1 using the official Apple update. Finally, you can then install the Apple Magic Trackpad and 27-inch LED Cinema Display Update. This should enable brightness control on the PC.

As far as connecting the ACD27" to a PC, you can buy new PC graphics cards with DisplayPort or miniDisplayPort connectors, i.e. ATi Radeon 5970, Palit GTX 470, etc. You can also connect older DVI cards with the ACD27" using an active DVI to mDP adapter such as the Atlona AT-DP400.

Thank you for the answer, but the new apple cinema display is something I would never use. Maybe I am wrong but I don’t think there is a matte version. To me it is insane to work on a glossy screen. Since I tried matte I decided to never go back.

ok then.

Samsung P2770FH

Dell U2711 is IPS matte 27", 2560x1440 and AU$799 (but US$949 - what gives).

Note that these and the Apple ones will have pixels much smaller that your 24".

We used to have the older Dell 2710, which was IPS matte 1920x1200, with 12% larger pixels. In the end, we wanted more pixels.

Also, the advantage of Dells is that if there is a problem, they deliver a refurbished one (DOAs are replaced with new), then you call them to pick up the original. Means you are not without one and can make sure the new one works properly.

If you’re working with Nuendo I’ll assume that means you’re scoring to picture. Here’s my professional opinion, YMMV:

The amount of control a DP has over color timing is a powerful tool that allows the use of color to realize their vision of a scene’s mood in ways not possible before digital. Sometimes this can be very subtle. Without a color managed display a composer will never see the DP’s vision. A color managed display allows the composer to see with the DP’s eyes, to share his or her vision of the scene’s tone and achieve a better understanding of how the underscore should play.

If spotting is conducted at the composer’s studio or the director will be viewing the picture edit there at anytime during the project a color managed monitor will insure that the director’s viewing experience mimics, as closely as possible, that of the picture edit or screening room. This is why a color managed workflow should be maintained throughout every aspect of production by everyone involved regardless of where that involvement in the process is centered.

When transitioning from the post-production world to production someone once asked me during an interview, “Are you a sound guy first, or a filmmaker first?” You can guess my answer and who got the job. Again, YMMV.

http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop%20-monitors/pa271w-bk-sv

I have the ASUS VE278Q and absolutely love it. Everything appears clear and crisp with great colors, and a lot of real estate.