Need help to establish workflow with Software Synths.

1- If your MOTU is the interface selected in your VST settings, you set it to internal as it is the master interface to your system and you leave Cubase also to internal. You’ll set the MOTU to external only if it receives wordclock from another device via BNC or ADAT connection.
2- I don’t know if I changed the key command but here pressing twice on stop(space bar) returns the playhead to the last start position. First press stops playback and second press returns the playhead to where it last started.

Blink

Great! I don’t use shortcuts, only mouse, and it works if I press Stop button twice! Thank you!

I posted this thread on Cakewalk forums, in a thread of invitation to join Cubase community by Greg Ondo of Steinberg- trying to get more folks in to Cubase. We have/had great community at Cakewalk.

Now need to find how to record VST Instrument real time and I will be happy.

Use Group Tracks.

1. Create Instrument track
  2. On the mixer, select the track and right-click, and “Add Group Track to Selected Tracks” (can be “outside folder”). Set output of Group Track to “No Bus”
  3. Create Audio Track
  4. Go to Audio Track’s inspector and Route Input From Group Track.
  5. Record audio on to Audio Track.

However, Render In Place is usually the far simpler way to do this. The above routing is very useful for live instruments and voice.

There are several ways of recording an vst instrument to an audio track (I dont think many do ).
I use a phantom Bus mostly, press F4 to open the connections.
Create a new Stereo Output Bus, let’s call it Phantom, do Not assign it to anything.
Set the output of your VSTinstrument to that Phantom bus.
Create the audio track you want to record on and set the input to Phantom.
This way using a Dummy bus, you can route the signal from any audio or instrument to the input of a audio track.
You can also just use a group track to achieve the same thing, personally I hate the clutter.

Hi Astralv,

I was also a Sonar user and will be glad to help as much as possible.
Did you get your inputs and outputs situated yet? I think we could start there then take each issue one by one.

re: outputs and Instruments - also keep in mind that to route the channel somewhere else you have to actually open up the mixer and access the routing from there, or the channel edit window (via the “e” button) next to the Instrument name. This is how you route to a ‘dummy’ bus for realtime recording/printing. Then, as mentioned, create a new audio track and select that bus as the input source.

Sorry I don’t know much about the studio configurations, not needed for a simple setup like mine, it’s all turned off here.

Thank you for those solutions on creating Fantom track- I am not ready to understand it yet. In Sonar, every track, including instrument track, had RED record button, and all it took was pressing record button and it would record its own software synth. It makes no sense that instrument track in Cubase can not record its own instrument.

I thought I figured ins and outs but I guess- no.

I inserted new Audio track and want it to be Mic track. Set it to Mono, right? Then assigned Out to Master (Stereo Output), Input- to the Shure Mic- that is what I called it in settings. So why do I not have any meter movement? On my Console/Mixer view, I have some 5 channels with RED faders- corresponding to the Inputs I named, and one of them is Shure Mic, and there is movement on the meter. So why do I have movement there but not on the track I am setting to record on? If my track set to Input- Shure Mic, Out- Master, why am I pressing Record and it records flat line? What else does it needs? Thank you.

(I wish I did not have to open “E” window for routing- so used to have Inputs and Outputs visible right on the channel. But oh, well…" Thank you.

You need to arm the track, round red button on the track.
Preferences, Metering, enable “Map Input Bus Metering to Audio Track”
If you have the Inspector open, you don’t need to use the “E” window.

I have red button armed on the track, the Map Input was already checked, still flat line on recording.

On your Audio Track where you have the Shure Mic assigned as an Input make sure you have the Monitor button (little speaker icon) turned on. If it is on you will hear the signal at its Input. If it is off you will hear what, if anything, is recorded on the Track. This is the same behavior as a hardware mixer. Most of the Cubase controls mimic the hardware world. Not at my DAW right now, but I think there is a Preference you can set to control how you want monitoring to behave when you have Record Enabled.

You do not need to open the “E” window for routing (I never do). You can set the Input & Output directly in the Track’s Inspector - like it shows in the help page graphic I linked to yesterday. You can also set them in the MixConsole.

An Instrument Track only records midi data.

Ok, it working now, thank you. I was watching this video How to Record Audio in Cubase | Getting Started with Cubase Pro 9 - YouTube .

Yay! :laughing:

good to hear, good luck and good music. :slight_smile:

Sorry, but everything I touch is requiring some kind of figuring out.

So I am now figuring out recording Yamaha Motif MIDI and AUDIO on separate tracks. And it creates bunch of questions.

1. I inserted new MIDI track. It gives me options to select MIDI Out. How do I select MIDI In? Right now my Motif receiving from all MIDI controllers. I have Complete Kontrol keyboard, Maschine, Maschine Jam… I like to specify if I want it to receive from All controllers or from certain. For example, I like to have my Kontrol Keyboard to be set to Kontakt instrument, while Motif Keyboard to its own Piano sound on Motif. Where is MIDI IN setting? Click on E and there is nothing but “Go to Input”. Track Name and “Go to Output”, which are useless.

2. When I am on Motif MIDI track, I hear sound of piano disregarding of yellow speaker icon being activated or not. You said- I supposed to hear what is recorded ONLY if speaker is gray (not active). How come I hear what I am playing? Does it apply to MIDI? (Also my MOTU Audio Interface has option to provide Monitoring- I needed it to hear what I am playing in Sonar, so it has its own Mixer system. When I had it wired to bypass Motu mixer, I had no sound). Not sure if this would explain it.

3. The Motif Audio track. So I would have orange speaker ON if I wanted to hear Input, but I can have it Off because I hear it any way coming from MIDI? This is already massed up. I need it to be right. If I have orange speakers on both Audio and MIDI, I get double notes- I hear both signals.

Thank you.

You can select the midi inputs in the track inspector just like sonar.

2. yes, if your motu is set to monitoring you will hear what you play and double notes.

Ok, my brain is glitching . I see it, thank you very much. Will go try it more, see what else i will confuse. Thanks.

Don’t fret. Sonar is very similar to cubase. There are some differences not too many though.
I can count the number of hours I spent learning sonar that helped me reduce my time learning Cubase.

All the best.

For Audio recording and no signal shown even when track is armed - check Devices - Device Setup - (your audio device) - uncheck Direct Monitoring

@ Raino - for Instrument Tracks the output isn’t shown as obvious as Audio Tracks because it’s Output setting (where regular output is for Audio) is the Instrument selection. Yes you can set it to show be configuring “direct routing” to show further down, in another tab, but it’s not as apparent for a new user. That’s why I showed her the method I prefer for Instrument routing.

But ya, there is many ways to do all this stuff but this just my personal workflow style.
/p

I dont see Devices settings- may be it is in Artist- not in Pro? I have Studio settings instead- I think it is there. I cant check or uncheck Direct Monitoring because it is grayed out for some reason.

Here…
https://imghost.io/images/2017/11/28/devices.png

I don’t know why it wouldn’t be able to be turned on/off. IT’s def a ‘pro’ feature, never used Artist.