Need help with Control Room Setup

Thanks Fredo, I think I get it now. I’m limited to whatever “RED Output” I set up. That works. I can toggle between monitors and the Master Volume Knob now works as it should (down to infinity). I’m just going to have to make a lot of extra templates to account for the new routing requirements, which is why I said it would be like reinventing the wheel.

I have all of these routing templates already stored in the desk. With Nuendo set to 12 stereo outs, I push 1 or 2 buttons on my desk and the routing is all done, right down to the master print back into Nuendo. More importantly, my desk has never crashed. I cannot say the same for Nuendo and, even with it’s much improved stability, I still have to re-start Eucon at least once a day. So, I just need to figure out what’s going to work best. Thanks for your help.

No … that’s not correct.

Your “red” output is your Main MASTER BUSS. Master Output.
Since this is software, your master output is going nowhere. Reason why it is not connected.
In hardware-land, this one would go to your reel-to-reel master, or master DAT or whatever Master machine.

You can still connect your hardware channel inputs & outputs to all other in- and outs.
And OF COURSE these would have to be “connected”, otherwise nothing will work.
That is the next step you have to figure out, after you have connected your speakers & stuff. WHat I described above.

I agree though that combining a hardware mixer and a software system, making will make it complicated by definition.
Depends on what you want to use from your hardware mixer, and how you want to use it.
But in essence, you have two systems that conflict with each other, rather than working together.
Unless you use your DAW as an insert in your Hardware mixer, or vice versa.
Like you set up “external effects” qua.

Not saying that a hybrid system is not possible though.
But: Your hardware mixer outputs everything to it’s own “Control Room”
Which you ant to replace with a software Control Room.
So, you need to find a way to “cut out” the hardware section out of your mixer and replace it by the Nuendo CR.

Fredo

Sorry to be harping on about this, but what exactly is “HR 824 IN”? Is it an output channel?

I’m sorry again for repeating myself, but, to me “IN” would imply an input into your interface. So when I read your post I have a hard time understanding if you mean an input to the interface (set up in VST Connections “Inputs” tab) or to your Control Room (i.e. a “monitor source” on the CR pane set up in VST Connections “Studio” tab).

So above, when you write that you “picked Stereo In 1/2” where is that channel?

I’m lost again. I think it’s probably best to do what Fredo said and start with a new, small, simple setup, and always describe the full path here so we can see where the fault lies. It’s getting hard to follow now.

Well, but not really though. If your control room doesn’t change then there isn’t that much you need to change in “Control Room” either. The basic connections should stay the same. The only real thing that should change is your monitor sources in VSTconn “studio” tab. And in that tab there’s a little menu where you can easily save your setup and easily recall presets, should you need to.

I know this thread isn’t about the above, and I know I complain a lot about Steinberg, but stability has not been an issue for me when working on post projects in Nuendo 6 or 7. Like, it’s so much more stable than “professional” Pro Tools 9 and 12.x studio setups I work on daily. Just for the record.

HR 824 IN was my monitor source for the outputs 7/8. I labeled it “IN” to distinguish it from HR 824 OUT in the CR. My hope was that if I loaded the monitor source into the IN of the test channel on the N8 mixer , it would then play out through the 824s. It did not. NOTHING played through the HR 824 CR setup. Everything is coming out through the Equators regardless of input.

Anything that had the SUR Out (Equators) would play. If I switched to the HR 824s they would play in stereo. But the feed was coming from the surround output. As soon as I switched the CR output to HR 824, silence.

I understand what you’re saying, but where did you get “HR 824 IN” from?

When you select the “monitor input” in the “studio” tab in VST conn, you get a drop-down menu. What type of source is it? “Output” “Input” “Group”?

OMG, I have such a headache now!
Here is my normal routing, before all of this began.
12 stereo I/Os connect the RayDat card to 3 ADAT cards in my DA7
I have Nuendo inputs 1 - 24 (Stereo Busses 1 - 12) recieving signals coming from the DA7
I have Nuendo outputs 1 - 24 ( Stereo Busses 1 - 12) sending signals back to the DA7.
In order to avoid a loop during mixdown, I start 1 - 22 out of Nuendo at stereo bus 2 thru 12, while Stereo Bus 1 has outputs 23/24
This is pretty simple, yes?

Trying to use the simplest matrix, as you described, of one 5.1 out (using outputs 1 - 6) and one stereo out (using outputs 7/8), omitting the remaining I/Os, I made sure all of these were not connected in the Output tab.

In the CR tab I set up one 5.1 out (using outputs 1 - 6, Labeled Equators) and one stereo out (using outputs 7/8, labeled HR 824s) and connected them. So my config is now (from top down):
SUR OUT NOT CONNECTED
EQUATORS 5.1 ASIO TO DEVICE PORTS 1 - 6 CONNECTED
HR 827 ASIO TO DEVICE PORTS 7 + 8 CONNECTED
METERING CHANNEL NOT CONNECTED

Now, based on that configuration, I should have 2 sets of monitors show up in the CR Tab of the Nuendo Mixer, and they do. One is Equators 5.1, the other is HR 824s Stereo. If I play anything in any channel with an output that says Equators( WITH MON. A SELECTED), it plays and I can hear it. If I play anything in a channel that says HR 824s (WITH MONITOR B SELECTED), all I get is strong LED signal activity in all connected meters but NO SOUND.

In the Monitor Source drop down menu, I selected Stereo Input 4, which was device ports 7/8. I relabeled it HR 824 IN. That’s how I got my CR tab to look like your CR tab.

So if I’m following you correctly that’s wrong. What I was trying to say earlier on is that you need to clearly separate Control Room from both the interface and the mixer.

It looks as if you did the following:

• In the “inputs” tab in VST connections you chose the interface’s inputs. These are physical inputs.
  • In the “studio” tab in VST connections you chose some of those inputs as a “monitor source”.

So, if you choose that “HR 824 IN” then of course you won’t hear anything unless you send a signal into that physical input on your converter/interface. In other words, just because you’re in the “studio” tab and see the choice to select “inputs” as a “monitor source” doesn’t mean that the word “input” actually means “source” in this case. Your “outputs” could also be sources for monitoring, just like I did in my second larger setup. It seems as if this is part of where the confusion lies.

What you should choose is any output channel you wish to monitor. So if you have an audio track that gets sent to an output channel, and that output channel has no assigned output, select that output channel in “add monitor source” in the studio tab drop-down menu.

It’s the output channel you want to use as a source.

I hope I didn’t misunderstand you.

In the above scenario it looks as if you only have one “monitor source” in Control Room, is that correct? It would be the default one, yes?

If that’s the case, then it looks as if the stuff I highlighted above is the problem. If you are only receiving signal in the default 5.1 Control Room monitoring path then if you start sending signal into one of the “HR 824” channels then it won’t make it into CR to begin with, because it’s not a path that you set up to be monitored.

Remember; all that CR does it “tap” a channel - ANY channel you select - in your mixer. If you want to change where your signal ends up you don’t have to change that in the mixer, just in CR.

I juat sent you a PM.

Yep, good. Replied with number.

Here’s the Output Tab. Steinberg Forums
Here’s the CR Tab. Steinberg Forums
What did I miss?

Here’s the settinjgs you just described.

Man, am I glad we could just talk this one out on the phone! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! :smiley:

:slight_smile: