Need Help With Cubase 7 UR28M and Recording Vocals

I have no idea what to do.

I use UR28M for my interface with Cubase for output to my studio monitors and that works fine. Today I hooked up a RODE NT2-A microphone plugging into the the MIC/Line/Hi-Z input 1. I then started Cubase. I checked my device info for Steinberg UR 28M and the only thing it has for inputs are analog in 1 and 2. Are those the mic inputs? I’m trying to get sound out of the mic but nothing. I have the input 1 knob turned up pretty high.

What do I have to do to get this thing to recognize my mic? I have no clue.

I checked my device info for Steinberg UR 28M and the only thing it has for inputs are analog in 1 and 2. Are those the mic inputs?

You could start by reading the numbers on your interface…

Turn on phantom power?

Doesn’t the UR28M supply the phantom power? I don’t have a phantom power box with this mic. At least I don’t remember getting one with it.

Okay, mystery is solved. I have never used a setup like this before and am used to my old mics making a hell of a racket when hooking them up. Finally, after getting everything in place, I tried tapping on the mic and I noticed that the meter was moving but I wasn’t hearing anything. Finally I decided to try some vocals to a track I had recorded. I couldn’t hear myself coming out of the phone but I’ll be damned, the audio track picked up everything clear as a bell.

This is a brand new world for me and when i didn’t hear any “noise” in hooking up, I just assumed it wasn’t working.

i don’ t know, it’ s you who’ s got the device and the manual. In any case you should make sure, it’s turned on.

I couldn’t hear myself coming out of the phone but I’ll be damned, the audio track picked up everything clear as a bell.

You have a couple options to hear yourself while recording.

The UR28M can pass the mic input to output directly (tick direct monitoring in the Device setup) or you can tick the little speaker icon on the track you are recording to monitor through Cubase (though this will be affected by your latency…i.e there will be some delay, the amount depends on the buffer setting)