Need Urgent Help With Vocal Recording Using UR28M

I am so frustrated with this because I have successfully done this before but now I can’t seem to get it to work.

I am using Cubase 7 and UR28M USB Audio Interface.

I have my Rode condenser mic hooked up to input 1 of my UR28M. I have the +48V switch on. I have the input 1 knob turned up. I have an audio track with record enabled in my Cubase project.

When I do a mic test, I hear nothing coming out of my monitors. They’re working fine because all VST tracks are playing and making sound.

I have tried this with both the HI-Z and PAD switches off and on.

Nothing works. I don’t remember what I did the first time I recorded vocals which was back in October.

What am I missing? I have an assignment for a class due in 3 days and I need to be able to record vocals.

Please help. I am desperate.

I have my Rode condenser mic hooked up to input 1 of my UR28M. I have the +48V switch on. I have the input 1 knob turned up. I have an audio track with record enabled in my Cubase project.

Do you have the channels monitor switch selected? (little speaker icon)
Have you checked in vst connections that your input 1 is assigned where you think it is?
Have you made sure that input 1 is selected as the input for the audio track you are recording to?

Also do you have direct monitoring selected in the audio devices setup.

F4 - Control Room tab - click the blue button at the top.

Yep, that was going to be my #2 suggestion.

Thanks for all the responses. I figured it out. I had the wrong input going into the track itself. I thought I had checked it but I obviously didn’t.

Recording vocals has a bigger checklist of failure points than just bringing up a VST. Since I don’t do it as often (I write mostly instrumentals) it’s easy for me to forget something. I should probably just make a checklist on a spreadsheet so that all I have to do is go through the list and check everything off as I get to it. That way this won’t happen again.

Thanks again for all the help. I really appreciate it.

Of course nothing can salvage my horrible singing voice.

Now would new a good time to Save your project as a Template…

Good luck on your class project.

Jon