NEITHER CUBASE NOR I ARE WORKING OS X

For two weeks now I’ve failed to do with Cubase 6 Elements what I thought would be simple—treat Cubase 6 Elements at first as a simple recorder: set up the mics, record, rewind, play back. When playing back, I expect…something…to switch from monitoring the live feed from the mics to the recorded material. It doesn’t get simpler than that.

Yet, after reading and experimenting for two weeks, I can barely do any of it. Originally, after creating a stereo channel for #1 and #2, and a mono for #3, and I couldn’t make it work. So I now have three mono channels.

I’m running a MacBook Pro with a TASCAM US-2000 interface and Cubase 6 Elements. I record classical groups playing traditional instruments, such as quartets and piano trios. Many takes are involved.

What’s wrong?

1. The monitor function is always live. There’s no way I’ve found just to hear a raw, multi-track recording, even if imported. The earphones give me the mic feeds on playback, not any sort of mix.
  2. I put on three mono mics, having given up on stereo altogether. However, the picture that looks like the monitor control always says, “No Bus” and there’s no playback.
  3. Starting up Cubase usually detects the inputs correctly but not always. It also creates two output channels that I don’t know what to do with.
  4. I use the ASIO drivers from TASCAM for the US-2000. The MacBook recognizes them in the audio preferences, and I select them. There’s nothing in the documentation that tells me to do this so I don’t know if it’s correct.
  5. I am using the ASIO drivers plus S/PDIF settings

I am missing something really, really big here. Please clue me in! I’m dying here!

Hi do you think if you cry in bolt big letters also a blind will answer? I don^t think so

Perhaps take a look in the link in my signature, perhaps than you find out whats wrong.

OR

Make some screens
of your device settings / of F4 of your tracks with inspector

Shure you need spdif and you use the correct cables?

Greetz Bassbase

And use normal letters the ones who need glasses have them…

I apologize about the letters. I am completely blind in one eye and the other is failing. It was pasted from Word.

No problem :wink: could you post some screens i asked for`?

And whats about the cables you use?

Greetz Bassbase

1. in the preferences there is an option to set the monitoring behaviour, you want Tape Type.

2,3 and 4, you need to make a template of your setup and use that at the project creation.

As Split mentioned, you need to go to File > Preferences > VST and select “Tapemachine Style” as your Auto Monitoring behavior. Notice there are more behaviors available in Cubase based on how you like to work. Very cool :slight_smile:.

2. I put on three mono mics, having given up on stereo altogether. However, the picture that looks like the monitor control always says, “No Bus” and there’s no playback.

You need to setup your device in the VST Connections window (Output tab), under the “Device” menu. Check out the tutorial videos that came with Cubase 6. I believe the first video in the series explains how to go about this in more detail.

3. Starting up Cubase usually detects the inputs correctly but not always. It also creates two output channels that I don’t know what to do with.

See #2 above.

4. I use the ASIO drivers from TASCAM for the US-2000. The MacBook recognizes them in the audio preferences, and I select them. There’s nothing in the documentation that tells me to do this so I don’t know if it’s correct.

See #2 above.

5. I am using the ASIO drivers plus S/PDIF settings

I am missing something really, really big here. Please clue me in! > I’m dying here!

Only reading the manual and checking out the tutorial videos :stuck_out_tongue:. Seriously though, you can totally do everything you said here (and much more) with Cubase 6. You just need to spend time learning it. If you don’t like reading, then go to YouTube. There are tons of tutorial videos for just about anything you want to learn.

Take care!

What a wonderful option to be buried so deeply! :slight_smile:

Thanks. I’ve read the entire Cubase book now (yes, yes, thanks for the applause) and today is going to be the day (maybe). I’ve checked out several youtube videos at your suggestion.

I have a couple of bi-amped Roland digital monitors. Each has a switch: you tell the speaker whether or not it is to be right or left (or both). There’s an S/PDIF input on both speakers, as well as a passthrough output. I use them when the musicians want to hear what they just recorded. Myself, I monitor with earphones because I’m always looking for a satisfying mix of presence and stereo imaging. I try to position the audience no more than fifteen feet from the performers (in sonic space).

Thanks!

Are you speaking of the hard copy quick start guide that comes with Cubase 6, or the 708 page, PDF format, Operation Manual? If it’s the latter, than you should definitely have no problems using Cubase (assuming you actually applied that knowledge).

In any case, I hope you are able to get back to work and enjoy Cubase 6, cause it is pure joy to work with (at least for me it is). Speaking of which, I need to get back to work myself. Later!

The entire book, printed in color on three-hole paper, in a binder. Well, I did skim the MIDI and quantization because I can’t see myself involved MIDI or anything other than live performance.

Success, first time today. thanks to all the help! It only took this retard two weeks to record something and play it back. The only problem I still have is that the digital monitor out line is still outputting in mono. Sigh. Next week’s problem. :smiley: