New Avid Control app is excellent!

^^^^
yes I noticed an update to the app/software this morning - glad to know they are moving forward

Tested the new updated version: It STILL crashes Nuendo when selecting the “Tracks” tab with a project that has over 40 tracks.

The app is working just fine on my end and the current session is sitting at 195 tracks. No crashes what so ever.
I’m using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 (SM-T813)

I wonder if it’s iPad related. I’ve used eucon for over a decade, since the MC Artist days and i don’t recall it crashing like this.
Metagrid is filling the gap for now…

I’m using ipad - an no crashes, although I’m on PC

WTH, how can half of us have an INSTANT CRASH and the other half have no problems? There has to be a “smoking gun,” some settings or system combination that explains this! :open_mouth:

can somebody share a stripped down project that predictably crashes ?

It crashes with me on projects with literally a couple of tracks. I’ll try the new version, but for now happy with Metagrid - more stable and more buttons :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I did a little test today. On my Windows 7 PC, running the latest version of Eucon and N10 it runs fine, no crash when there are more than 40 tracks. On both my MacPro (Sierra) and MacBookPro (Mojave) it crashes. Looks like this is an MacOS issue.

Meanwhile, I am sticking with TouchOSC which I can highly recommend as an iPad (or other tablet) addition to control Nuendo.
Pro’s: Highly customisable, very stable, (never crashed), easy setup, it is free!
Cons: It takes some time to program, not really fancy visually, track names and parameter names / values are not grabbed from Nuendo

strictly speaking it’s not free - but it is pocket money price

also

Ah, you’r e right. It’s $5. I seem to recall it was free, but obviously I was mistaken. But still it is very good value for money.

Last week, I had a catastrophic PC Failure. I lost my entire OS. :cry: This week I am piecing back my OS, one app at a time, which will clearly be hundreds! As such, I ended up updating to the latest Version of Eucon (v. 20.1) and putting Avid Control (which was lost to me when they updated to v. 19 while I remained at v. 18.3 since it was STABLE) back online. THIS was going to be my “Silver Lining,” As Avid had claimed on it’s March 3rd release to have solved many of the problems that plagued the S1 release in December. If I had to start over, at least I could finally have a little better work flow with the Avid Control App.

I’m running on the barest possible level at present. I’ve got a fresh install of N10 with NO VSTi’s or 3rd party plugs or anything yet, as they have yet to be re-installed. I opened an empty test project and filled it with 16 MIDI tracks, 16 mono audio tracks, 16 stereo audio tracks, 12 groups and 12 VCAs ALL BLANK. This is the smallest possible setup for one of my normal projects. Then I fired up my Artist Series hardware and Avid Control. The second I touched the Tracks Page on Avid Control, I got the “Exceeded Track Count” error message and Nuendo crashed telling me to save my work under a different name. :angry:

THIS is the same BS I was dealing with when it was called Pro Tools App at Version 18.3.! This means, If I use the app, I will have to AVOID THE TRACKS PAGE (which was the work-around on V. 18.3), which was 90% of the reason why I wanted it in the first place! :unamused: The touch screen on the MC Control is not great and there’s no scroll ribbon, like on the MC Pro. My work-around was to program a scroll function on my transport to quickly access tracks on the Mixer. Being able to use the touch screen on my iPad, especially with the tracks organized by color, would have been faster and easier to access. But I CAN’T USE IT because it will cause N10 to crash, just like before.

So, my vote is that the new Avid control is, in fact, NOT excellent. It is the same ol’ same ol’ with a new name! :angry: :cry:

I wondered if the crashing was a hardware issue. Perhaps those of you who weren’t experiencing this issue had Macs with iPads and that was causing a more “solid handshake?”

I have an iPad running the app with a PC. So, I was hoping the issue was as simple as changing to an Android tablet. So I went to the Google Play store and downloaded the app to my Galaxy S8+. I fired the system up and loaded it into the Eucon List of hardware. It worked fine until I touched the tracks page. Then, sadly, I got the error message

and a COMPLETE NUENDO CRASH (which means you have to go into the Task Mgr. just to get it to shut off!).

Mac OS Mojave and IMac 2013 plus original iPad Pro with iOS 13, Nuendo 10.2

I agree the Avid Controller is sooo far ahead of the SB iCPro I hope SB is embarrassed!

I have it working quite well, although like others I have loaded projects with 40+ track counts only to have Nuendo hard crash instantly.

I love the Eucon soft keys but haven’t worked out how to ‘reel them in a bit”. There’s just too many!

I’d want SB to put in some effort to bring their app into the running. I think they’d be able to build in way better stability than relying on Avid.

I still lean on my old cmc usb controllers … love them… but when they eventually fail I want an alternative. Tablets seem the obvious solution. Although I’d seriously consider a bespoke SB hardware channel controller, transport navigation device.

not quite as convinced as you :slight_smile:

consider a CC121 - It’s hard to recommend it as it’s sitting forgotten in the corner of a deserted steinberg store room but it does (mainly) work - integrates very well and it’s nice to have physical buttons etc.

I’d be tempted to ebay rather than buy new as I don’t think the current retail price is realistic.

So, Apple with Apple = CRASH
PC with Apple = CRASH
PC with Android = CRASH

What the hell?!!?

How are you guys, who don’t have this crashing problem making this work!!! :question:

Unless the fader and channel control is what you need from PT Control, if it’s mainly shortcuts you need I can highly recommend Metagrid - more customisable and far more stable.

The ones having issues with Nuendo crashing, are you seeing the same issue with Pro Tools? (if you have it)

CC121… huh… completely forgot about that. I see a few places where they available new, but very pricy.
I have a Mackie MCUPro which is sitting unused … to be honest the work I do these days doesn’t really benefit from a bank of faders I’d rather have the space!
I might keep an eye out for used CC121 … it is pretty much what I said I wanted!
Thanks for the nudge…

Tried the Avid Control App…some observations:

No real mention anywhere that the EuControl program from Avid is needed. This isn’t a problem for those who own a physical Avid controller as there’s plenty of hints for those folks, but not for those w/o. No hints on this Steinberg’s site either. If don’t own a physical controller and you try and get EuControl from Avid’s Artists series website, no dice. What you need to do is login to Avid’s main website using your Avid master account, click on your profile, and then select Downloads. Not intuitive at all - lucky for me I was determined enough to suss the situation out eventually.

The program works well enough - it’s gonna be useful for some folks. It’s going to be fiddly unless you have a large tablet. The way it implements plugin control is interesting - nice job but there are some widgets which do nothing.

The grid macros are nice - but I’m really leaning towards getting a Stream Deck…

It’s not too shabby, but it’s not going to pull me away from my X-touch. I also own TouchDaw, which is a MackieMCU emulation that runs on Android. It fit’s the bill when I need a remote - but I usually shy away from the tablet unless I really need it - they’re grease magnets.