New AXR4 Thunderbolt Audio Interface announced

The Biggest issue is why don’t companies write better drivers. Whatever the protocol is. No wasted energy. Just technical observations and discussions.

Agreed, but trying to get ANY of the companies to do it right like RME aint gonna happen. They go as cheep as they can

True. But… We can make it known :slight_smile:

I really expected these to come with at least 8 preamp’s. Maybe they will be released like someone said earlier in phases, 2,4,6,8 etc.

I would also like to see the Portico plugs in the dsp with the vintage channel strip stuff, so you can track or monitor through them.

Also Guitar Amp classics?

The Neve Silk circuit is an emulated version. NOT the analog circuit from Rupert Neve Design.

“Rupert Neve Designs SILK emulation on the four hybrid mic preamps”

How do I integrate my Mic Preamps with the AXR4?"

There are no INsert jacks on the AXR4 (as there are on my MR816). After reading the AXR4 Operation manual I cannot find a simple way to connect my various Microphone Preamps. I could find no ‘bypass’ software switch, etc either). The only mention of an External Preamp in the AXR4 Operation manual is a Connection Example photo showing an external Mic Pre being brought into the AXR4 via the Optical IN port. I do not own, nor am I aware of, a Mic Pre that has an Optical Out port. So the question remains, “How do I integrate my Mic Preamps with the AXR4?” Sadly this is pretty much a ‘show stopper’ for me. :frowning:

i dont own the AXR4, but to connect external preamp you dont need to use insert points, just connect the output of the external preamp to one of the AXR4 line inputs.

Thanks for the reply…But then won’t the signal be going through another preamp (the external pre and the audio interfaces mic/line pre)? It doesn’t make sense. The whole idea of using an external preamp is that it replaces the audio interfaces pre. Additionally why would Yamaha/Steinberg go through the trouble of placing inserts on the MR816 if what you say is true?

Just engage the PAD which is -20 dB which completely negates anything the pre could be doing on the unit, that is how I run my MR816X. Im not sure if the line inputs on this box go through the pre amp like the MR does or if they are in fact dedicated LINE inputs? I think you are straining too hard on this one bro.

well. MR816 has some "flows"in design,the line inputs are going through the preamps as i remember (although they are supposed to be clean pre’s) .the insert points are designed for inserting outboard gear (compressor eq etc) not necessarily preamps.its kind of workaround in MR816 to connect pre in the insert to avoid the MR pre.
Anyway the AXR4 has 8 line inputs in addition to the 4 combo xlr/trs in the front,so you can connect external pre to those line inputs

Shanabit and Mozizo,
Thanks for the replies. Probably connecting the external Pre to the Line In and turning the gain fully CCW with Pad engaged is the answer.
Again thanks. Being on Windows I have not purchased the AXR4 but maybe someone on the Mac can let us know how this is working out for them.
It would have been nice if this is covered in the Operation Manual but maybe it is simply an assumption that we all know how to use an external Pre with an audio interface.

Yes would be nice to have some owners of AXR4 to chime in and share their experience with it, sound quality ,usability vice etc…
(seems there is no “Buzz” yet in the forum with it, wondering if some folks here got it,its probably not taking off yet cuz of price point and windows lack of support yet ?!)

Hey Moz,
I agree. I think you nailed it. Would love to hear about some hands on experiences with the AXR4.

Here’s an update on getting my PC ready for adding the axr4. The big issue is this. There seems to be no such thing as a thunderbolt 2 AIC card anywhere. So the user is forced to buy a thunderbolt 3 card and then an adapter which goes from Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2.

I could not get the first AIC card to be fully recognized by my system. I have sent it back and we’ll be trying a different AIC card. When I find something that works I will report back. Would love to hear if anyone has had success adding a thunder bolt 3 AIC card. There is no way I will purchase and axr4 until I know my system can recognize and see the AIC card and and external device hooked up to it. What an incredibly frustrating experience this has been. I now agree with others on this thread that the hardware axr4 should have been made with a thunderbolt 3 protocol.

Had the card now for a month, have tracked multiple bands as well as my hardware for my solo productions.
Getting my head around the new dspmix fx Axr for routing monitors took me a few hours to work out the bottom drop down menu is how you selected which mix page you are editing…
there are some querk in Cubase ie. total intergration is not fully total yet, having control of hp mix requires leaving Cubase as there is no intergration for control over the different mix pages from within Cubase…
also old projects do funny things to my ch groupings I address…
other than that poop hot card
Clear loud and bright…
if you have had the chance to mix on a rivage PM10, then you will love the sound of this interface…

All I can say is hurry up with a iPad app and better control from cube… probably be able to kill two birds with one stone there!!!

Definitely a more forward brighter sound than other competitors till you get to the lynx / prism kind of bracket very very impressed… tb2 no stress at all.

Neve pre’s really do colour nicely, as they do on the pm 10

Love that when you name you inputs and outputs on the card that that shows up in Cubase so much easier to be able to see that it’s going to 1176#1 and in on patch bay 9 for example… rather than ip## op## when havining so much analog gear to keep track of…

Love it…
Already saving for another

…and now after new UR-C series, we’re waiting for AXR4 upgrade(-C?)

usb C/3.1
TB3
:smiley:
what else?

In Windows if I turn my unit off and then back on I need to reboot for my computer to find the AXR4. It’s very frustrating and nobody from Steinberg has given me an answer to whether this issue will be fixed.

Just got mine yesterday. Did take a bit to sort out the dspMixer app. Using it on a Mac with Ableton, and I route a few external synths through it.

Sounding really good so far.

Two things of note:

1. I am not sure if it’s me or the software, but when I put any of the mix buses in Loopback mode I am not seeing the signal available on any of the inputs, which means I can’t record say from my browser into Ableton/Live. You can get around it by patching some outputs into an input and routing it via the mixer app. So, not sure on that.

2. The thing runs pretty hot temperature. Not super hot, but still way warmer than my Focusrite Saffire Pro40 Firewire interface. I’m assuming the device is designed to still operate nominally, but it did grab my attention.

Curious. What was it that helped you decide to pull the trigger and get the AXR4 considering other interfaces in a similar price range?