New build with 13000K

My new build with the Intel i9 Core 13000K is up and running and all is well. Just for fun I tried loading 10 instances of Amplitube 5 live (IE not using asioguard) plus Ozone 9 on the stereo bus and it held up. For comparison, with my old 5960 I could not run even a single instance of Amplitube live on an fx bus and expect it to keep up. I then un-froze all tracks on a large project with about seventy tracks including lots of Spitfire Audio string instances and impact soundworks metal guitars through Amplitube and Cubase performance monitor peaked at about 20%. I am very satisfied.

3 Likes

:clap: Do tell more! (motherboard etc.?)

1 Like

:love_you_gesture: how much did it set you back?

2 Likes

Share your specs! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Please give us full specs as 13000k is the next step for many ppl here.

1 Like

Hi All Sorry about the absence of details on my original post.

Here are the specs:

I9 13900K
Asus Prime Z 790-A mobo
Thermaltake P3 Open frame case
EVGA SuperNova 850 PS
Kingston Fury 64GB DDR5 5200
Corsair ICUE H170i Elite Capellix cooler

The whole thing including a 2tb m.2 drive came in at $2700.00 CDN which is about $1700.00 USD

The two cards you see in the PCI slots are Lynx AES16Es which serve my Lynx Aurora converters.

6 Likes

What do you mean exactly with your „ old 5960“?

1 Like

Probably Intel i7-5960 processor from somewhere around 2014

2 Likes

intel + ASUS mobos always has seemed a good combo to me. I’ve never had problems, good stability, etc.

2 Likes

If you have any hardware synths, I would like to know how this setup reacts on MIDI & Cubase.
And if you are dealing with any MIDI Jittering or other issues. :sunglasses:
And you are on Win10 / 11 ?

Sorry… Intel i7 5960X CPU circa 2014…

1 Like

Win 11… I haven’t tried external hard synths yet… I’ll get back to you…

1 Like

Exactly!!

What’s the lowest latency you can get without losing stability with some audio tracks recording, and some stuff running as well?

Right now I am testing using 256 byte buffers. Usually I work with 1024 but if I am recording a human I bring it down to 512. This is because I tend run external fx across the stereo bus while tracking (sounds better using my bus chain) so latency has to be extremely low to compensate for the i/o delay.

So the results I posted in terms of performance are at ludicrously low latencies:
2ms in / 2ms out = 4ms in total, sample rate 96k

1 Like

Thanks for asking these good questions… I should have anticipated all of this so apologies for not having posted a more complete story at the outset.

Tough question because there are so many variables - not the least of which is factoring in asio guard (or more particularly, factoring it out). That being said, I can get around 25 live tracks of amplitube 5 servicing a test tone at around 4ms latency and around 35 live tracks at around 8ms. These are both at 96k. (I know the red overload indicator is illuminated but that was from adding new tracks, not the actual test). At 1024 byte buffers (~ 16ms latency) this goes up to around 50 tracks. For my work this is overkill because generally I only have one track in record or listen-enabled state at a time.

The last screen shot is around 53 tracks of the same configuration but not live IE asio guard is enabled. This is at 8ms latency.

I did discover something interesting about Cubase multi processing though. It seems that Cubase will allocate a track to a CPU thread and multiple vst fx will share that logical thread. A track will not however use multiple CPU threads so if you have a tracks with, say, Amplitube, a comp and a verb those three vsts will share the same logical cpu. I could be wrong but when I check performance monitor in windows it seems to support this theory. No expert though so please take this with a grain of salt.

1 Like

All good with external synths… No issues…

2 Likes

This is indeed how it works. If you think about it, it can’t work any other way. The Amplitube plugin must finish processing the audio before the compressor can process anything and the reverb must wait for the both of them. As the signal flow is serial, there is no benefit of trying to split up the work into multiple threads.

1 Like

Yes makes perfect sense. Thanks