New controller

Anybody have experience with a Roland A-800 pro controller? If so,any, tips or suggestions, having trouble getting the pan controls to work right. :question:

Hi,

How did you set the pan controls up?

Thanks
There are 3 native maps for cubase; Solo, Mute, and Record (don’t know yet what the differences are, but the planner assignments are the same) and used the Mackie Control protocol in c10. Everything seems to work,but the planners are very hard to use (don’t do anything unless you turn full left, or full right) stopping them where you want is impossible. They are assigned on the A-800 pro as “encoder simulate”, with increasing control numbers starting with 17, all on midi channel 16

I’m sorry the increasing control numbers start with #16, and the midi channels are all on 1.

Hi,

On the real Mackie Controller hardware, the pan encoders are infinite. They are not using the exact value, but just inc/dec. That might be the problem.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Maybe this thread will help, if you’ve not already tried what’s recommended there.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44979

Not really with the combination of the Roland device and Mackie mode. The Mackie system interprets values of ≤64 as “decrement”, and ≥65 as “increment” for the parameter you’re controlling. I don’t think the Roland’s knobs can be configured thus, but if they can be, it should work.

Attached is a reply from Roland support, can anyone tell me the CC’s that control the panners in C10? And how would I differentiate between tracks?

:question:

Hi,

MIDI CC10 is Panner. So this will work for the MIDI/Instrument track. MIDI Channel 1 is OK as an output (so only 1 knob is enough), because Cubase records data from all MIDI channels.

If you want to control Cubase MixConsole (and use the Mackie Control protocol), then use MIDI Controllers 16-23 at channel 1. But as we mentioned, the knobs have to send Inc/Dec values (64 = Dec; 65 = Inc).

Thanks Martin, does this mean that I need 2 knobs for each channel, 1 for dec, and 1 for inc? What do I do about Smart Switch Delay, Enable Auto Select, And Relay Click (see attachment)?
Thanks again

Hi,

No, you don’t need 2 knobs per channel. You need to set every single knob so, that it will send value 64 at the moment you move the knob to the left, and value 65 anytime you move the knob to the right. Nothing more. Not an exact value. Just Left = 64, Right = 65.

So it would look like this:
Knob 1 | MIDI CC 16 | move left = value 64; move right = value 65
Knob 2 | MIDI CC 17 | move left = value 64; move right = value 65
Knob 3 | MIDI CC 18 | move left = value 64; move right = value 65
Knob 4 | MIDI CC 19 | move left = value 64; move right = value 65
Knob 5 | MIDI CC 20 | move left = value 64; move right = value 65
Knob 6 | MIDI CC 21 | move left = value 64; move right = value 65
Knob 7 | MIDI CC 22 | move left = value 64; move right = value 65
Knob 8 | MIDI CC 23 | move left = value 64; move right = value 65

Thank you very much. I try that!