New Cubase 6 Activation Code

I bought Cubase 6 from a guy who said it was unused. just missing the dongle. Which was fine because i already had one. Well when i went to install it, it said the activation code was already registered aka GOT SCAMMED!!! So how can i go about getting a new license for cubase 6. I dont want cubase 7. Not a fan of the mixer and alot of the changes made between 6 & 7. Any feedback is appreciated.

Sorry you got scammed - or maybe that guy just didn’t follow the procedure? (see Steinberg knowledge base). Anyway, the only way to get a valid license is to buy the current version, which will allow using any earlier version. Or - if you can find it - a boxed Cubase 6 that a shop may still have lying around…

So if i buy cubase 7, i can use the activation code for 6? Once i put the code in… wouldnt it see it as cubase 7 not 6?

No, the activation code puts a valid Cubase 7 license on your USB-key. This is not relevant to whichever version you have installed - as long as the license grants permission for the installed version. Which will be the case with a 7 license and a 6 installed. Just make sure your eLicenser software is current.

Thank you very much. Just dont want to get hosed again. Would i be able to buy the cubase 7.5 upgrade from 6.5 to save some money?

Of course not. You don’t own a license to upgrade.

Ok wasnt sure