New Cubase user: CPU performance tips

Hey guys. I’m on my 2nd or 3rd month of using Cubase 12. I’m really enjoying it. Just wondering if you had any tips as far as CPU performance? Been watching a lot of Club Cubase videos. I think from what I’ve seen is-

1. Put on Steinberg power scheme (Greg Ondo suggestion)
  2. Raising Buffer Size
  3. Both my Windows 10/11 desktops are optimized for audio. I ran the latency checker for both.

I’m using two rme interfaces. Thanks for any help.

I use the Microsoft ultimate power plan. You say you have optimised so I’m not sure what else you can do. Are you using different plugins in Cubase that are more cpu intensive? I use an rme Babyface pro fs and run at 128 samples for tracking and mixing. I can get down to the lowest settings but not for mixing. What’s the spec of your pc?

I’m more a music producer recording virtual instruments. I’m a some old i7s with one windows 10 32 gb ram, and an one with W11 64 GB ram. Probably time to update my computer. Looking at an i9 for Cubase. Though in Studio One 6 with UAD, Arturia, Acustica etc cpu wise is fair’s a bit better than C12 Pro. Either or I can adapt. I usually work at 128 buffer for mixing, and production in SO. In C12 I’ve been switching in the middle of sessions.

So after tracking you switch buffer size’s when getting to mixing? Thanks for the help.

That is quite a normal procedure. During tracking you’d like to have the “real time” flair of small buffer sizes. During mixing you want to make sure you don’t have any crackles, thus you increase the buffer size.
You don’t have to do it like this. It’s just a tipp.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info.

Asio guard!

Freeze your VIs! :smile: (seriously, it is sometimes the beste way to drastically reduce the CPU load of the session especially if you use seriously cpu hungry synths)
Else, what you already did is fine. Don’t do too much without properly testing whether it really has an effect.
Maybe, as @Tj99 suggested, try different ASIO guard settings (that might actually explain the differences you perceived with S1, maybe the buffer size for S1’s non realtime path is much higher per default as Cubase’s. Who knows…)
Also, when mixing, make sure that no virtual instrument track is record armed, that activates the realtime path and can lead to dropouts if the session is on the brink already.

1 Like

I second that. Freezing your virtual instruments (along with any CPU-hungry insert effects!) is a sure-fire way to gain back a bunch of CPU. And it’s so easy with the freeze button!