(new Cubase user) Cubase 12 crashing, feezing anddoing other funny stuff

Hi everyone, I have been using Cubase on a daily basis since October without any - meaning literally any - issue until a couple of days ago when suddenly I started experiencing the following issues:

1. Cubase opens regularly but then says it cannot find project(s) so I look and see one of the two hard drives is not there anymore i.e. computer detects disk (C) but not disk (D) where I have stored my projects.

2. Cubase crashes on new projects -even empty ones created from zero with nothing on them.

3. Cubase crashes when saving projects (again, also empty projects or with just one midi track on them).

One thing I have noticed is that Cubase seems to be working on older projects or anyway, I never experienced crashes while doing tests in these days.

Each time Cubase crashes I have to manually switch my computer off and then restart it. Sometimes computer will switch off partially but I still hear the disk running so the only way to make it stop is unplugging the machine from electricity!

I am working on Win11 Pro 64 Gb RAM dedicated computer i.e. I am not using that computer for nothing other than making music so Cubase (and VST plugins) are basically the only things I have installed on that machine.

All happened suddenly as I said with no apparent reason. Computer and Cubase were just perfect until the day before, not one single crash since October.

I really don’t know what to do with it. Do you think this could be a Cubase issue or a computer/bios/Windows related issue?

Computer is also new so the good thing is: I will have it tested for free next week.

Thank you for reading this post!

Hi,

Recently I have seen the latest Windows update bring a problem to some users.

I would try to reinstall Cubase. Make sure you install it as administrator. Make sure all your plug-ins are up to date, please.

You can try to start Cubase in the Safe Start Mode [Disable Preferences].

If it’s still crashing, attach the DMP file, please.