New Edit-Channel-Window

Hello,

after more than a decade it has been necessary to re-write the mixing engine for various reasons. We already considered such a re-write for N5.x, but in the framework of the Nuage development it made even more sense.
In most cases it’s not the “visible” functionality but technical aspects, sometimes there are even changes to the programming framework that need to be reflected in the respective development-branch.
The longer such rewrite is being delayed, the more complex it will get. After more than 10 years nearly untouched, it was time to prepare the mixing engine and the mixer itself for the future.

Thanks,
Timo

Ok, but when did Steinberg not say you did a major rewrite of the software after a major release?

And the issue here isn’t us understanding that you need to rewrite stuff, it’s what seems like a step backwards while adding new stuff, instead of simply rewriting the code with what we already had and then add new features.

I mean, if you want to make us feel like we’re having a constructive discussion where we can sort of figure out where you guys are going with this then why don’t you comment on the first post? Did you look at the picture comparison?

Timo,
it’s fine when you have to rewrite the code for getting it right for the future, or for a re-design of the mixer, or whatever. But - like you said - this can not be the answer to this lack of clarity. That cannot be the reason why the very clear and dedicated buttons for OnOffBypass were kicked, or all the other stuff. There must have been a round table in development which decided that it is an improvement for N6 to introduce this mouseclick-tabs where the user have to decide whether he wants to see sends or their routing, and kick out the free configuration for that window! That is why I opened this thread, because I cannot follow this decision and really would like to understand it. There must be a reason for this tabs, otherwise they weren’t introduced?

Because they always re-write a portion of the soft with every major release.
That’s part of the basic development cycles.

Fredo

Hello,

I have tried to explain the reasons behind the reprogramming and also have commented on
our goal of providing ongoing maintenance to fix issues and certain program behaviour.
We have extracted the essence of the discussion and will internally discuss it for future
maintenance updates. I don’t have further comments on this. Thanks for taking part in
this discussion.

Thanks,
Timo