New "Enharmonics from Chord Track" feature

The new feature in Preferences “Enharmonics from Chord Track” does not work properly.

1. Create a Chord Track and insert a Bb Major scale on it (ignore that it is called A# on the Chord Track).
  2. In the Key Editor enter all the notes in the Bb scale.
  3. Notice that Bb is correctly shown but Eb is shown as D#.

This occurs in all the flat keys. And in the sharp keys A# is displayed as Bb. So overall the whole implementation of this frequently requested (and musically correct) feature is messed up.

The attached screen grab shows how sharps & flats are displayed in every key.

With the release of Cubase 9.0.10 I thought I was going to post a joke here about the quickest response time to any issue report at < 24 hours to the “fix.”

However even though this is supposedly fixed in 9.0.10 I’m not seeing it. When I reopened my test project Eb shows as D#, Ab shows as G#, etc. In fact it looks exactly the same as the screen-shot in my OP. I saved my 9.0.1 project as 9.0.10, closed Cubase and rebooted just to make sure it was a clean start. Problem still persists. :cry:

It seemed like maybe my test Project might not be showing the fix because it was initially created in an older version than 9.0.10. So I created a new test from scratch in 9.0.10. Sadly the problem still exists.

I don’t know if you noticed, but scales by themselves have no effect whatsoever on the note names. Only the chords do, which seems to me to be the only way this could work properly.

Largely it looks like it works pretty well. Note spelling is subject to opinion and context, but the defaults for maj and min look good, imo.

Come on Steve, obviously you do know I hadn’t noticed. :blush:

Still it seems like the spelling should reflect any scales. I think the rule should be: Base the spelling on the scale unless a chord calls for a different spelling, in which case use the spelling dictated by the chord.

Mea culpa, I was trying to be gracious, but it really didn’t come out that way. On the contrary! Sorry. :blush:

I agree with you that it would make excellent sense for scales to determine spelling, I don’t really know, but I suppose previous programming for the chord track was used to get this going. I also suppose there’s more flexibility in having the chords determine spelling.

Having sharps and flats in the key editor is so nice, I got used to it right away, and almost forgot the previous awkwardness. My workaround has been to put one chord in the chord track at bar one even before I write any other notes, I’ll just put in a C maj chord, and compared to the way it used to be, it’s a world of difference.

Indeed I would like to see more, but I can really live with this.

(I took the liberty of editing your topic title and moving the thread to General to unlock the reply button)

No, you totally succeeded on the gracious front.

The way I typically work is I’ll start with a chord progression, so the chord track almost always has chord entries, if only for documentation. When we first got flats, it looked correct to me ('cause I used chords, duh). But I was transcribing a piano part from Three Penny Opera for a friend where I didn’t have (or need) any chord info. Then I noticed sharps that shouldn’t be there (and I wondered if I’d only used F Major recently). The test case I made stacked all the notes on top of each other, so it wasn’t chord focused. So I’d managed at each step to avoid using chord entries. Anyway glad it really is working.

And especially happy to see the return of the correct colors in the Key Editor.