New flow in write mode?

I’m pretty sure this isn’t on your list as semantically, it doesn’t necessarily make sense but…

Can I float the idea of creating a new flow within write mode? I’d be interested in the discussion if nothing else.

Semantically - ok, I get that you have to “set up” your flows with the right instruments. I expect that “split flow” is a little bit of a concession to this because you need to know the position of the split hence needing write mode. What I’m thinking of is writing freehand - if you’re writing on manuscript, you don’t need to take an entirely new piece of paper just to start writing a second movement. If I’m in the middle of writing a piano sketch and wanted to start another sketch I would just move a few lines down and start again.

It would be good if similarly when I get to the end of a movement, or want to skip ahead and make another sketch using the same instrumentation that I could simply create a fresh flow and start writing, rather than coming out of write mode and going through the rigamarole of creating a new flow from there and selecting instruments etc.

So - pretty sure I know the answer to this, but would you consider a “create new flow” from write mode? I realise there are several complications involved in this, not least how you implement it cleanly…

There’s a split flow feature in write mode. It would create a new flow…

2 Likes

The Project Info Dialog can be opened from any mode, <ctrl>I. You can add a new flow there.

2 Likes

As Marc says.

Select the final barline of your current flow and Write-> Split Flow. Couldn’t be much simpler.

Yes, I know about the split flow function (see above). I don’t want a fresh copy of the same flow though complete with time, key signature and flow title, I’d like a fresh new flow…

My point is more than anything a semantic one - I know that you can technically create a new flow this way, but what you are actually doing is splitting the flow…

I haven’t been able to imagine something easier than ⌘1, ⇧F, ⌘2 (or Setup Mode, click the + button, Write Mode) and resume editing. All the instruments are included by default.

1 Like

I can - ⇧F from write mode…