New forum member from South Africa seeking career advice

Hi everybody,

I’m new here and would like to introduce myself to the Steinberg family. I’ve been using Steinberg products since 2004, and am mostly an experienced Cubase user (although I’ve dabbled with Nuendo here and there). I completed the ‘Advanced Music Production Course’ at EMENDY Sound & Music Technology College (a CERTIFIED TRAINING CENTRE here in South Africa: https://www.steinberg.net/en/education/training/south_africa.html). It’s basically a 2-year Diploma, for which I completed an additional ‘1 year practical internship’ as well.

I’m currently on the lookout for job opportunities in my country, but also abroad. I’d like to find out if there are any other Steinberg users (preferrably Cubase users) that are South African that might be able to give me some career advice, especially when it comes to Cubse-equipped/Steinberg Certified studios. I’ve kind of been having a hard time finding reputable career-leads as of late, especially for studios equipped with Steinberg products.

Also, for job opportunities abroad, would my ‘accreditation’ be of any use? Is this ‘Steinberg accreditation/certification’ internationally recognised? Would it be possible to look for jobs overseas, and possibly find employment?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you,
Juan

Hi there.

I was looking to get a official “Steinberg Diploma” mostly to use it for my teaching resume, but since I wasn’t able to get this in my country I let this pass, BUT, one thing I can say you for sure is that audio related gigs don’t depend on Diplomas.

I’m a Sound Technician and never, not even once a client ask for my certificates or diplomas, they just listen to my works and either they like it or don’t. That’s all. Doesn’t really matter what DAW or hardware you use if the result is what the client wants.

Just my 2 cents

Regards

Hi,

I would advice you to get your foot in any door that you can open at this stage, let your work speak for itself and take advantage of any opportunities that come your way.
I think most, if not all, ‘famous’ engineers and produces have had quite humble beginnings. The career path is not unlike that of a musician.

Start low and aim high :wink:,

Mauri.

It’s really all about who you know. I don’t know availability of jobs or demand for the jobs you are looking for in your part of the world, but starting in anything that is closely connected to your ideal job is a good start! ie. a rep for a speaker company, a recording engineer assistant, front desk at a marketing firm that works with a lot of musicians, etc.

My advice would be, don’t give up your day job.

Hi everyone,

I know it’s been quite a while since my original post, but this is just to let you in on what happened in the meantime (and to maybe get some advice from some of you, if possible). I subsequently left the industry I had been working in (corporate, security sector), and am now looking at finally getting back into the audio industry (or anything ‘sound’ at least). My main issue is on how this would be reflecting on my CV (I’m from South Africa, so what we use over here is very similar to what you get in the UK and EU). These are 2 TOTALLY different industries however, so I’m a bit concerned about how to reconcile the two! :blush:

My main problem at the moment is that I’m a bit lost when it comes to what a CV for an audio engineer should look like (and a cover letter as well). Does anyone know where I can get some good samples by any chance? Or can some of you that are working in the industry perhaps show me some of your examples please (if that’s OK of course)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
JD

As mentioned above, your portfolio ( of creations) so far is what counts most. In any creative job, you will be evaluated mostly on your work. it is nice to be able to write a good cover letter too, but I suggest to focus on your work first. Have a huge catalogue of projects, and create a resume dedicated to sound engineering. A potential client/ hiting manager is not really interested in all your endeavours in your previous career/ education if they do not relate to the job you apply for.

Hope this helps…

PS: I believe videogaming in SA is a bit in the spotlight lately… might be that around Pretoria or so some studios are settling…
PPS: Also check if CSIR does not have any opportunities…

Your CV should be one page, the rest should be on some sort of HD media. As others have said, your work will speak to your qualifications far more than any educational merits. Make sure you have adequate permissions for any work you did not create musically yourself on your audio portfolio… ethics are very important in all industries.

Cheers & good luck.

p.s. have a backup plan so you don’t starve during your search for success. :open_mouth: :wink:

“p.s. have a backup plan so you don’t starve during your search for success. :open_mouth: :wink:” ← Why do I hate it when people say that? :frowning: Is it because this is not such and easy industry to set foot in? I sometimes get the impression that as someone that pursued engineering, I’m not really in for a good time. Does this industry on average cater for less than it bargains for? :confused:

But thanks for both your advice nonetheless. And VinnieD, that is probably some of the best I’ve received in while to be honest. I was thinking of getting my portfolio up to scratch, considering I feel that it’s quite lacking at the moment. You’d suggest rather getting that up to scratch before really considering applying/approaching (even if speculative)? My major issue is that I kind of need a new job ASAP and was bargaining on my qualification to AT LEAST get me in somewhere for starters (even with the little experience I have). What about doing another internship perhaps? Or some job shadowing? Would that be a possibility? Another engineer mentioned this to me, but he couldn’t offer me a position himself. Is this something you could potentially approach an employer with? :neutral_face:

Do you see that little winking smiley? it means i am joking. Hating is for haters.

One more word on this, avoid working for free, especially if you want to “give away” services for the sake of the experience. It downgrades the value of all engineers a little. Some may disagree, but in a highly competitive studio landscape, it does not help the market. Its kind of like erosion.

Anyway, I stand by the rest of my first post to on this topic. Its what you can present to the ears of a prospective employer which will open the doors faster than what you have on paper.

Cheers

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to be rude. I didn’t realise the humour in that, so my bad. I kind off said what I said because I think a lot of engineers in my country have a bad time finding work (from what I’ve heard from other engineers I know, it sounds so; everyone seems a bit negative to be honest). In South Africa the economy ain’t too great at the moment, apart from the rest of the world which suffers as well (but Canada’s still 1st world while we’re 3rd, so keep that in mind). And not too many studios over here use Cubase as far as I’m aware. Pro Tools has slowly but surely wormed its way into the South African scene and is DEFINITELY the ‘de facto’ DAW in use at most studios these days (I guess because it’s the industry standard). Would it be pointless applying for work at studios that DON’T use Cubase? :question:

I’ll get crackin’ on my porfolio ASAP in the meantime then. Thanks a lot for all the advice and motivation guys, much appreciated! One last question however: what would you guys include on your portfolio, for instance? What would the average studio want to see? Should I contact them and find out? I have some college projects that I finished in my final year of studying audio engineering that I could use. I’ll polish them in the meantime. Would that suffice? :confused:

I’d say anything you are proud of. Content is always going to be subjective, I would not let that worry you. If it sounds good to you, then use that as your delimiter.

Thanks once again. I’ll let you guys know how things progress (if they do). For now I’d like to work a little bit more on my portfolio, while applying at or speculatively approaching studios. I don’t think this is going to be an easy process, but I’ll give it a shot nonetheless…

Dont use your forum name… they will bury your CV/resume in an unmarked grave :wink: :laughing: