New HDD and RAM for running Cubase

I wondered if you could give me some advice at all? I’m really not technical when it comes to computers…

I’m running Cubase 6.5 (soon to be 8.0) on my 4 year old computer… a HPE-475uk, Intel i5-650 Processor (4M Cache, 3.20 GHz) Dual Core, Windows 7 64bit with 8GB or Ram (2x2x2x2). It’s not the fastest, I know, but as a home musician who only uses Komplete 9U and my Yamaha MOX 6, it’s running quite well…or at least it was

Recently, the hard drive is starting to get noisy and slow and has been having errors. Rebooting/resetting the computer and reinstalling Windows 7 hasn’t helped so I think it’s time to put a new one in. While I’m at it, I’d like to replace my RAM to the full 16GB too.

Here is a link to the full spec/motherboard etc if it helps or I’m not making any sense!! http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02622053&DocLang=en&docLocale=en_US&jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002

I’ve been out of the loop for so long that I am unsure what is now compatible with my PC and wondered if someone could point me in the right direction of the correct products!

I would like to replace my current SATA 2 1TB HDD 7200rpm with a similar size (or bigger and faster if compatible?) but with a large cache. (should help with the N.I and other sampled instruments).

I would like to take out my current 8GB PC3-10600 DDR3-1333 (240-pin) RAM and replace it with 16GB max that my motherboard allows (4x4x4x4) but am unsure which memory is right for my computer.

Can anyone recommend which way to jump from a musicians point of view? I’m not ready to purchase a new computer yet!
Thanks so much for your help!

Kind regards

Kat

According to that link, as for your memory…

Memory
6 GB

Amount: 6 GB

Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec

Type: DDR3-1333

Memory upgrade information

Memory upgrade information:

Supports DDR3 DIMMs only

Dual channel memory architecture

Four DDR3 DIMM (240-pin) sockets

DIMM types:

PC3-10600 (DDR3-1333)

PC3-8500 (DDR3-1066)

Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered

Supports up to 16 GB on 64-bit PCs

Maximum memory only if using 4GB DDR3 DIMM modules.

As for CPU upgrades…

Processor upgrade information

Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:

Intel Core i7-8xx (Lynnfield core)

Intel Core i5-7xx (Lynnfield core)

Intel Core i5-6xx (Clarkdale core)

Intel Core i3-5xx (Clarkdale core)
NOTE: Maximum processor core frequency <= 2.93GHz

If I were you, and insisted on using that board, I’d consider upgrading the CPU as well to the best above.

But I think even more importantly, I’d install another separate physical hard drive (or 2 more) so you don’t get bottlenecks, the 1st for OS/Programs, a 2nd for projects & recorded audio, and a 3rd for all VSTi sample content. Though it’s a micro ATX form factor, and I only see 2 SATA connectors on this board, I assume the 2nd SATA port is taken up by the DVD drive, so any more hard drives, you’d need to connect via firewire or USB.

This wouldn’t be my choice for a mobo, but it is what it is.

And I hope you’re not trying to run the motherboards own built in audio card, but rather a proper audio card/interface with it’s own ASIO drivers…a USB, Firewire, PCI, or PCIe type interface.

Thanks for the reply…I have been looking at an i7 upgrade but will probably be buying a new PC in 18 months or so.
Have been looking at the WD hard drives so may well go down that route.

Yes, I have an external Focusrite soundcard…been using external ones for almost 10 years now :slight_smile:

Cheers for the advice!

Personally, I’d be more concerned about using a single hard drive, than the 8 GB ram. It’s pretty much standard practice to use 2 or more hard drives in a DAW machine. Something to seriously consider when choosing components for your next, preferably DAW build next time.