New Installation of Cubase 10 with MOXF Sound Card Not Working

I just upgraded from Cubase 9 Elements to 10.0.50 on Mac OSX 10.15.1 using a MOXF sound card. When I plug in the MOXF, the OS’ listing of sound devices shows two Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 USB input devices and two Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8 USB Output devices (there should only be one).

When Cubase is started, a “New Audio Drivers Found” dialog opens which lists MOXF6/MOXF8 and MOXF6/MOXF8 (2). I select the first of the two MOXF items. A second dialog appears indicating that “The audio driver could not be loaded. Please make sure your audio hardware is connected correctly to your computer.” Selecting the Try Again option from the dialog then provides only one MOXF6/MOXF8 option. Checking Cubase’s listing of ASIO Drivers shows only one for Yamaha MOXF6/MOXF8. Checking the OS’s list of sound devices now only shows one instance of MOXF6/MOXF8. In this configuration, Cubase can not play or record audio. It will record and play MIDI with the MOXF, so the USB connection to the card is being made.

I tried testing with Cubase version 9 and it just crashes with the new OS. Cubase version 8 does open but provides similar results

Cubase 10 will runs just fine when I hook up an M-Audio FastTracks sound card.

The audio devise in the MOXF does perform as I can set the OS output to MOXF6/MOXF8 USB devise and play iTunes through it just fine.

What do you think is going on with the initial two instances of MOXF6/MOXF8 USB when I plug the device in and why is Cubase not able to use the MOXF6/MOXF8’s audio device? Is there a string somewhere in Library > Preferences > ??? that needs to be deleted or changed?

Mark

Hi,

I would try to uninstall and reinstall the driver (as administrator). Make sure you are installing the latest version, please. My expectation is, the problem is on driver side.

Thanks Martin. I got everything working with the MOXF after renaming the folders in Library > Preferences for two previous Cubase installs and then completely removing the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver (V1.10.5). A few things cleared up after renaming the old directories (those are going to be deleted soon) but after removing the driver, recording and playback of audio started working again. I was going to reinstall the driver, but tested Cubase without it first, and all appeared to work fine.

I’m not sure how the MOXF is communicating with my Mac without the USB driver or how to discover what it is using, but I’m ready to reinstall it if performance proves sketchy. If it’s not broke… :slight_smile:

Thanks
Mark