New installation of Dorico, no VST, no sound

I just installed Dorico Sibelius crossgrade onto a Windows 10 Surface tablet a week ago and have been struggling with many issues.

The biggest thing is that I can’t figure out how to get playback to work. I have written small snippets with single instruments for test purposes and tried to playback - silence. No error messages, just silence. When I go into play mode and look at the instruments, both VST Instruments and Midi instruments are empty, making me suspect there’s some extra step I’m supposed to take to add an instrument for playback.

When I look at the mixer window, it shows a channel listing the instrument with “HSSE 1” (HALion Sonic SE 1 when I hover over it with the mouse). I’ve cranked the volume slider on that channel, I’ve cranked the volume on my computer’s sound. Still nothing.

In case it’s relevant, when I look in my Windows 10 Programs and Features list, then sort by publisher to see all the Steinburg programs, I see 6 of them:
Download assistant, eLicenser Control, Generic Lower Latency ASIO Driver 64 bit, REVerence content 01, VST amp rack content 01, and Dorico.

I’m lost. Help?

I’m very sorry to hear you’ve been having problems. It sounds as if you did not install all of the sound content when you installed Dorico. If you run Steinberg Download Assistant again and click on the ‘Dorico 1’ entry on the left-hand side, you’ll see four entries in the list on the right: you need to install ‘HALion Sonic SE for Dorico 1.1.10’ and ‘HALion Symphonic Orchestra for Dorico’, and then you should find that everything starts working.

Do let us know what other issues you’re having – we’re all very happy to help.