New licensing scheme - Computers per licence?

Will Dorico 4 definitely be licensed using the new system please? Has it been revealed how many computers can be authorized with each licence?

I have Dorico Pro and Dorico Elements (as well as SE) licences and am wondering how many of them I’ll need to upgrade.

• Dorico will be licensed using the new system.
  • We don’t know when, but given that many heavy hitters from Dorico are leading the effort, it would be reasonable to expect that Dorico is spearheading the effort (being the newest product with the least legacy entanglements that would be likely).
  • I would expect that Dorico will pilot the new system, with the other apps following later
  • I wouldn’t be surprised to see it come with Dorico 4 by the end of the year
  • We’ve heard that multiple computers can be licensed, don’t know the details. If they follow other examples it would be a “Desktop/Laptop” kind of solution

Thanks for this.

Hopefully Daniel will be able to comment on the number of computers per licence, particularly now that there’s an entitlement to free upgrades to Dorico 4 for new purchases and upgrades (Eligibility - Dorico - Steinberg Forums).

We actually have not made any announcement that the next version of Dorico will definitely use the in-development new license management system. That is our hope, but at this stage we cannot give a specific guarantee. In time, all of Steinberg’s software products will transition to the new license management system, but the timeline will vary for each product line.

We have also not made any formal announcement concerning the number of computers on which a single-user license will be usable. It is certainly our intention to allow a single-user license to be used on two machines, to accommodate use on e.g. a laptop and a desktop machine. We will provide more information about precisely how the new system will work and its capabilities in advance of the first products to be released that will use it.

2 Likes