New macOS install - UR44 not recognized anymore

Where do I go to get whatever drivers are needed to run the UR44?

I just want the simplest driver to run the UR44

I just want the bare minimum to run the UR44 - I don’t want eLicenser (horrible) and I don’t want anything to run DSP effects inside the UR44 or additional sound type synthesizer sounds. I don’t know what else to call it - but I don’t want these synthesizer sounds because they interfere with multiple software I have on my Mac (Finale, Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X, and so on)

I don’t want these installed:
GA_Classics_CLEAN.component
GA_Classics_CRUNCH.component
GA_Classics_DRIVE.component
GA_Classics_LEAD.component
Morphing_ChStrip_m.component
Morphing_ChStrip_s.component
REV-X_HALL.component
REV-X_PLATE.component
REV-X_ROOM.component

1 Like

You mainly only need to install the USB driver. The latest version is here:

You obviously went through the install for Tools. I have the UR824 so I assume it’s similar for the 44 but in the uncompressed Tools installation folder there are uninstallers for different components. If you don’t want all of the FX suite then you can use that uninstaller to remove them. If you don’t want the DSPmixFX you should probably uninstall all the Tools and just make sure you have the USB driver installed.

The tools download is here for the UR44:

There are important notes linked there for Macs:

If you want to start with a clean slate and need to uninstall the USB driver you can use the uninstaller here too. After that make sure you restart the machine and then install the latest version of the driver from the link at the top of this post. Restart again after installing.

In my experience with the UR824 on Macs and Windows is you should leave the device unplugged until after you have installed the driver.

After installing Tools - Logic Pro X can’t run. I’m getting dozens of error messages. It’s always been this way with Steinberg. Steinberg simply isn’t compatible at all with macOS.

Simply not true in general. I’ve never had these issues on any of my Macs.

Very true. I’ll create a video and post to YouTube.

It may indeed be true in your case, but for clarity, I’m saying it’s not the same for everyone as your earlier post suggests.

Here’s the workaround for Steinberg’s Tools software.

I fixed the problem by deleting the following files in this directory /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/

GA_Classics_CLEAN.component
GA_Classics_CRUNCH.component
GA_Classics_DRIVE.component
GA_Classics_LEAD.component
Morphing_ChStrip_m.component
Morphing_ChStrip_s.component
REV-X_HALL.component
REV-X_PLATE.component
REV-X_ROOM.component

With Steinberg’s software there is no way of ONLY installing 1) the driver and 2) dipMxFxUR44 (that little mixer thing to mute the inputs). Instead of only downloading and installing what you need Steinberg bundles their software (Tools) with a bunch of junk I don’t want - forcing the user to install and then uninstall. It’s quite messy to deal with. Steinberg software interferes with Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro and Finale. Totally unacceptable. The solution is to ditch Steinberg and find something compatible with macOS. I’m done with this janky software.

Again, it does not ‘interfere’ with with Logic or FCP on my current or previous systems. Sorry to hear your personal experience has not been a good one. I wish you luck moving forward.